Which bike for a newbie?

Coadman

Feb 12, 2009
1) your physical size 6'1 250
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I would ride pretty hard
3) what do you plan to ride- trails, fields
4) Do you have any riding experience? 4 wheelers thats it
5) Do you think you will race ? NO
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I could do most of it probably
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? From what I have read so far a 4stoke maybe a Yamaha?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes I do
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? not more than $1500
10) Do you live in California? Nope, Kansas
11) Your age?22
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? I just want something I can ride around on our farm with and go riding with some friends

Coadman

Feb 12, 2009
Forgot to mention a buddy has a 01 Yamaha YZ250F that he would sell to me in my price range.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
YZ250F is a great bike, and with your size/weight it would probably be a great starter bike that you could toss around and it wouldn't get away from you. Keep in mind though that you'll probably get pretty comfortable with it in a short period and end up wanting more power. Not sure how that year stacks up but I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Coadman

Feb 12, 2009
So will a 250 be something i'll have fun with for a year till I get comfortable with then want something that will go faster, or will this hold me pretty good?

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
That depends on the rider. A 250 4-stroke won't kick out as much power as a 2-stroke, but it will be easier to handle I'm sure. If you can you may want to try test riding them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…