Which Brand Gasket Kit???

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I have done a search and found naught. Does anyone know the differences betwwen brands, Pro-X and Cometic. Im getting the Pro-x piston if that makes a difference. Also is there any gains to be had changing base gasket sizes? I just recall reading something about thicker gaskets... Any help is appreciated. :thumb:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I have used Cometic and OEM gaskets, never seen the Pro-X. The Cometic look they are more heavy duty than OEM. I got a bad OEM base gasket. It was thin on the outer edge of one of the stud holes. Thicker base gasket will lower compression.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I wouldn't be changing base gaskets (thickness) unless there was a known reason why and a specific need for.

Yes, a thicker base gasket will lower your compression. It will also change your port timing. Those two changes conflict with each other (generally) in terms of modification. While some porting jobs include raising the exhaust port, such porting jobs commonly include head modification that increases compression.

If all you're doing is a top-end job, you can likely get buy with just the base and head gaskets. Head gaskets are quite commonly reused with the addition of some sealer like CopperKote. Heck...some reuse base gaskets, but generally after having prepped them on the last install with sealer on the engine side and some light grease on the top side so the cylinder comes off easily next time.

BTW..what are you going to torque your cylinder with? Conventional tools (sockets) won't fit. MotionPro makes an adapter wrench that has the required box-end with a 3/8" square drive in the middle that will fit to your torque wrench. Keep the adapter at 90º to your wrench handle and you won't have to mess with torque modification formulas.

If you've got a good torque elbow, using a one-each wrench works fine. Most riders that do their own work probably know the difference in 'feel' between 18 and 20ft/lbs. If you don't know that 'feel' please use a torque wrench.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Good man CC Ive been browsing your posts and found most of the above info Thanks Alot. Is there a prefered brand of gasket kit?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There have been several mentioned already.

I am familiar only with what I've used..and that is limited to oem and Cometic. I haven't checked out 'all comers' and inspected/evaluated (whatever that would be worth) the product.

I wouldn't worry about Cometic being commonly bad in some way. That's what EG sends back with his work I think. There's a worthwhile endorsement for 'ya.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Cheers CC. Im getting it all today. Would this be the tool (besides me)?

Attachments

• torquewrenchadapter.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 91

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep.

You got the 90º part? There has been confusion over that before. No need to do any math (or a bunch of it either!) to get the job done.

Piece-o-cake with MotionPro's tool (not you!).

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I know this is a dodgy pic but am I close to what you mean?

Attachments

• torquewrench.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 88

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Dodgy? You folks tawk funny! ;)

Looks like a perfectly good pic explanation to me! Maybe 'dodgy' means 'super-d-duper', but ......I doubt it.

Yep summore. Keep the attached torque wrench at 90º to the adapter and you will apply torque at the setting on the wrench.

It takes a bit of fussing to 'fit' the cylinder fasteners that way, but it works.

Enjoy your new top-end!

Cheers!

bh

Nov 26, 2001
I used a Moose gasket kit last time I did the top end on my 93 and I was not at all impressed with the quality. Looked much cheaper than the Vesrah kit that I used before.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: Why not a crowfoot

I'd much prefer a box-end 12pt. wrench. There is much less metal in the way with a 360º wrench compared to the jaws on a 2pt. open-end wrench. Clearance is tight already. A personal point of view only. I haven't tried a crowfoot, so there isn't a whole lot of merit to that view...but there it is nonetheless.

re: High compression gasket kits
Don't understand the thinking of that. 1. There is more than compression increase when the base gasket is changed. If it is understood how your port timing will change and you want that to happen, great. 2. RB-Designs will modify your kdx head including the squish-band (he doesn't just cut metal off the bottom of the head) for $45. That's a bit from, '...without expensive high-compression pistons or cylinder head work.'

Another point of view that doesn't have much merit to it.....I haven't ever used a high-compression gasket kit. If something doesn't make sense to me from the gitgo I don't feel the need to prove that it makes no sense.

Maybe that's another point of view with no merit to it. It might even be a dodgy point of view! ;)

**edit**
For more on gasket changes, click !here!

Good info from Rhodester.

Last edited:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Well I ordered the Cometic kit but they shipped me a brand called Winderosa. Has anyone used / seen these before. By the look of their webpage the newer model KDX gasket kits are new to them. They are made in the good ol' USA so they must be good quality eh'? Thanks for all your replies guys. :thumb:
http://www.winderosa.com/dirt02p3.html
Oh yeah it cost me $45 AUD...

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Well I rang to complain about the one being ordered and he spun me some BS about Winderosa being the best, better than Cometic etc... Here's what is included.
2x black O-rings
1x brown O-ring (thinner than the black 2)
base & head gaskets
reed cage gasket
KIPS advancer shaft cover gasket
KIPS main valve cover gasket
the cover with KIPS lettering on it
and the water neck gasket on the head.
No 6 O-rings in this kit JasonWho only 3, but 7 gaskets. I dont know how you tell the quality but the gaskets are cleanly cut and pretty stiff whether or not those are good things. Ill give Winderosa a try, only to save me the headache of trying to exchange it and hope it doesn't cause bigger headaches in the long run... :bang:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Of course, I'm a dill. I should know what bike you have by know, anyway..... Well good point about leaking. Thats what I meant about headaches later on. Good luck with your :ride:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…