snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I want to buy a micrometer to measure engine componants. Specifically; piston, piston pin, bore ect... I still have a two stroke but will purchase a 450F this summer, so something that can do dual duty for measuring shims would be good. I'd like to keep the cost in the $50-$100 range, but will pay a little more for quality.

Thanks, Steve

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You'll need 0-100mm range (0-4") but you aren't going to find that range for what you want to spend. What you need is closer to the $350-$400 price range and up. Here's a good set of micrometers that covers this range for a very good price :

http://www.jlindustrial.com/FOM-15004H/SEARCH:CATEGORY/product.html .0001" resolution
http://www.jlindustrial.com/FOM-53400M/SEARCH:CATEGORY/product.html .001" resolution

Buying metric micrometers or electronic micrometers that read both SAE and metric in the same range will push the price higher.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I just bought a digital one to replace a mechanical one that my wife dropped on the floor. It set my back $45.00 from Dillon Precision. It works just fine for valve adjusting and reloading ammo. It goes out to four inches. I probably wouldn't use it to launch the Space Shuttle...

Yes, it's made in China :nener:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I use starrett micrometers. Mine are like 40 years old so I have no idea what they cost now a days.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Starrett stuff is outstanding, but it gets even further from the price range that he was looking for.

Most of my stuff is Starrett that I bought from a retired machinist 30 years ago, so most of it is at least 50 years old. Buying used tools from retired pros is a great way to get high quality measuring tools for a good price. Good tools, stay good tools forever if you take care of them.

I also have a few Fowler pieces that I've owned for years and they have proven to be good quality pieces. For my money they are as cheap as I would go with precision tools.

The only thing I would measure with a cheapo Harbor Freight style Chinese do everything micrometer is the distance I could throw it in a lake. But that's just me. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Widow's yard sales are a gold mine. Good machinist's always keep their tools. I recently landed a new set of 0 to 6", with stanards and in their birch box. At least once a week I have to look at them.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check pawn shops as well. Estate sells are good, just a bit more pot luck.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Rich Rohrich said:
The Starrett stuff is outstanding, but it gets even further from the price range that he was looking for.

Most of my stuff is Starrett that I bought from a retired machinist 30 years ago, so most of it is at least 50 years old. Buying used tools from retired pros is a great way to get high quality measuring tools for a good price. Good tools, stay good tools forever if you take care of them.

I also have a few Fowler pieces that I've owned for years and they have proven to be good quality pieces. For my money they are as cheap as I would go with precision tools.

The only thing I would measure with a cheapo Harbor Freight style Chinese do everything micrometer is the distance I could throw it in a lake. But that's just me. ;)

What Rich said.

It is even better if your retiring guy has some Mitutoyo digital micrometers in his collection. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom