which pipe and gearing combo?

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
which combo would give me the better bottom end?

stock pipe/ 13/47
fmf woods/ 14/47

I would like to have a bit more top speed, and if i add the woods pipe i wanted to know if it would make up for the 14 tooth cs. Also, let's say i can go 70mph completely revved out now, but with the woods and 14 tooth, would it be like 72or73mph?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You won't notice the extra 2 or 3 mph because you'll never be riding at that speed for a lengthened amount of time. To spend the money on a new sprocket and pipe would be stupid, it's 2/3 mph for crying out loud. ;)

mudronin

Sep 21, 2006
Just wondering why you would want more top end on a trail bike? Personally I went from my trusty but heavyweight klx250r for more trail oriented power of the kdx.

Granted i ordered a rev pipe and will have it ported but i LOVE instant gratification! you just dont get that even with my modded klx.

the klx was plenty top end-ish but lacked the grunt for deep sand I sometimes find myself in, and I was either leaving everyone behind,working my butt off trying to stay on top or workin my butt off trying to stay with the group. Don't get me wrong, as I still ride and enjoy it and will until it is finally sold, it just 'feels' limited and cumbersome in much of what I find myself riding in.

Basic/moderate trails, it excels. The trickier the trail the more work and less enjoyable it becomes. For the record in a 100 yard drag race i will pull my buds 03 rm125 then lose at the short end but make it a 200 yard race and i will retake him.

Point being: in my neck of the woods, i rarely have enough space to take advantage of any top speed, so why bother? is that the type of riding you most often do?

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
elliot- I want the extra top end pull one would get with a larger 14 tooth cs. It might not be 2 or 3mph, it could be ten mph, i just kinda wanted to know how much speed i would gain up there, and YES I do use it, on my occasional little dual sport ride, and in large fields connecting different parts of the swamp. I also wanted to know if the woods pipe would give back the low end i give up with the 14 tooth cs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom