Which pipe for woods riding KX250?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I have an 01 KX250. It's my first bike. I would like a pipe that is a little better for woods riding. I was looking at the FMF Gnarly pipe. What other pipes are good options for my bike and woods riding? Thanks for any info! Matt

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...I got the fmf gnarly on mine and it makes much better low end, plus I got the 11oz fww. Check out fmfracing.com, cause...well...check it out for that 01kx250...trust me...Getting the fmf silencer makes no difference....keep the stock one....

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Matt, the Gnarly will help a little, but try retarding your ignition to the maximum allowed, it will slow the rate your engine gains rpm. A flywheel would help more than a pipe, also. I have a flywheel from a 2000 KX, but I'm up in Enid. You don't fly up to Vance, do you?

L

LukeRips

Gnarly will help with the low-end. The SST is the most expensive FMF and gives all around more power. I use the SST on my GNCC ride, but I use a Gnarly for the super tight stuff.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Try advancing your ignition for a snappier bottom end....along with a fly wheel weight (the heaviest you can find) and Gnarly pipe.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I'm a noob and my '99 KX came with a 9oz fly wheel weight (I think it's 9...it's the middle of the road one), a gnarly pipe, and a 12 tooth front sprocket (one down).

It makes great low end, but I might go back up to a 13 on the front because I'm so damn slow that climbing the tougher hills are an exercise in clutch slippage. I get cramps in my left forearm from all the clutch work. :)

Anybody have any experience with different reeds/cages? I was told that they can make a HUGE difference.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
And if yo're in the woods, don't forget to use a spark arrestor. For general woods riding, I was pretty happy with my ProCircuit pipe and S/A.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I put a fatty on mine, seems too do the trick for me.. I did race a hare scramble awhile back and a heavier flywheel would of been nice.. I have a brand new SST i'd be willing too part with for your bike, plus a silencer for it too, let me know if interested, i can send over some pics if you want..
RIck

BradFrost

Jan 2, 2005
A fatty is the go. I owned the same bike and the fat sure helped with the bottom end ... which you'll want if you're slicing through the woods... or bush (which is a thin scrub version of a pine forest here in Oz). Flywheel weight is another option if you find yourself stalling under rear brake with the 2stroke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…