Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
I got to do some trail riding in Crested Butte this last weekend on my '01 YZ426 and have come to two conclusions:

1. Trails and woods is HARD, I got my butt kicked
2. The YZ426 in MX trim is not the bike for the job

So I am considering getting a woods bike, but I am not very familiar with this section of the sport. So here are my current thoughts:

1. Get another rear wheel with the largest sprocket possible, and also change out the front sprocket to the smallest possible when going trail/woods riding. (Cheapest solution, but not sure how effective, plus the MX suspension is not the greatest in thw woods)

2. Get a used YZ/WR 426/250 and either Yzify the WR or WRify the YZ, which ever would be easier. The 250 seems like a good choice since it is lighter, but I am used to the 426 power.

3. Other bikes to be considered?? Maybe KTM or Kawi enduro bikes ?

Thanks for any and all help!

Currently I am 5'10" and 200lbs and have been racing MX and HS for the last 4 years. And the woods bike would be in addition to the MX bike.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
If you are not running Enduro's where you need the lighting kit then I would recommend the YZ250F. You can get an aftermarket silencer/sa for the woods and not lose power.

I loved the YZ250F I had in the woods.

Ivan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you want a real change of pace from your 426, try to get a ride on an '03 ktm 200 e/xc.   Like any bike you will want to dial in the suspension, and like any orange bike you might find the seat a little hard.  But it's great fun in the woods, and not near as tiring as the heavier bikes.

Most 250 MX'ers can be excellent woods bikes, but it can get pricey to dial them in.  http://www.elineaccessories.com/   has some goodies for converting an MX bike to woods use.

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
If you want a real change of pace from your 426, try to get a ride on an '03 ktm 200 e/xc.

How are the older years of that bike, say 2000 through 1998 years?
I have been wanting a KTM for a while....although still not sure about the2 stroke thing.

Originally posted by

[/B]

Looks like I could get a KDX REALLY cheap though.
Are there any years to stay away from for this bike?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The slightly older KTM 200's are very similar power-wise to the '03; the '03 got a revised frame and suspension and IMO it feels a little more nimble and better suspended.  Nothing wrong with the older ones - I rode a 2000 a few times and loved it, just not as much as the '03.  If the engine is tuned right, it will run pretty good regardless of year. 

Kawasaki has hardly changed the KDX since '95, so one year should be as good as the other.  The KDX is a great buy, but the power and suspension are not as aggressive as the KTM 200.  It's a little heavier.  Stock jetting and forks need work, but the fixes are known.  If you are looking for the most bang for your buck in a woods bike, it is hard to argue with a KDX.  You can probably find a decent one for $1,500 - $2,000. The 200 and 220 have different power characteristics.

Riding in the woods is my favorite type of riding, but everybody has different preferences for what type of bike is most fun.  So try trading with with friends before buying.  For me, 200-250 two strokes bring the most grins and are the least tiring, but there are plenty of guys who love the big 4 strokes.  Good luck with finding the right bike for you!

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Tested out a nice 2001 KTM 200 EXC yesterday, pretty sweet.....

Forgot how fun a 2 stroke is!
Plenty of low end too, and it weighs about as much
as my mountain bike!

Time to break open the piggy bank.......

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Try a well adjusted and modified KDX before you break open the piggy bank. You'll save thousands AND have one of the best woods bike.

JCspode

May 30, 2002
I spent 13 years on nothing but the KDX200. You cant go wrong. You can bog the thing down and not kill it, or wind the piss out of it and it won't come out from underneath you. I have never had a KDX breakdown on the trail or foul a plug. Hint: look to purchase around August or September to fing the best deal on a new KDX.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
You can't go wrong with the KTM EXC's for woods bikes, they thrive on the trail. Ride a KDX then a KTM... it won't take long to figure it out!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by W.P.EXC
You can't go wrong with the KTM EXC's for woods bikes, they thrive on the trail. Ride a KDX then a KTM... it won't take long to figure it out!

I must say, I did figure it out! I got off my 1996 KDX 200 and right on a friends KTM EXC and took it for a spin. Long story short, He can keep that orange thing- It beat the crap out of me, and not to mention the ROCK hard seat. I'll take the KDX any day. :aj:

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Guess my @ss is in for a beating......

tb.jpg

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Had to sell this to get it though (sigh)...

BSA1.JPG

Oh well, it was just leaking oil all over the garage and not getting ridden.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Congratulations on the new bike!  You might inquire in the KTM/Euro section about set up tips, or check out some of the KTM specific boards.  Like with any woods bike, dialing in the suspension and adding a steering damper make it even better.   Those little ktm's are a blast!

Nice Beezer, BTW.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom