Mod Killer

Jun 15, 2004
Who's The Best?

WHO YOU GONNA PUT YOUR MONEY ON?

I wanna know who you guys think is the best of all time?

all on equal 250's, all in there prime

take into consideration that bikes today are way faster than those of yesteryear, suspension is way better, tires are way better, and engines are putting out insane power.
so when you make your choice, imagine them not on the bikes they once/currently ride but all on equal bikes.

Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Carmicheal
Bubba Stewart
Chad Reed
Jeff Emig
Doug Henry
Guy Cooper
Damon Bradshaw
David Baily
Rick Johnson
Bob Hannah
Roger DeCoster
if i left someone out, which i probably did, just let me know and i will add them to the list.

youve got $1000 and you must place a bet, WHOS YOUR MONEY ON?

1- in a SX series
2 -in a MX series
3 - in the US Open single SX style race
4 - in a one time MX style race, we'll say, Loretta Lynns just for arguments sake.

pick one rider for each of these categories.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Among the ommissions are Bob Hannah, Jean Michele Bayle, Jeff Ward, Roger DeCoster, Joel Robert, Broc Glover, Ron Lechien, etc...

1) McGrath
2) Very tough to pick, between RC, Hannah, DeCoster, Bailey and Bayle. I'll go with RC.
3) McGrath
4) RC

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
1) In Sx? Hands down MC. I don't know if we'll ever again see a man as dominant and naturally talented in the Sx arena. I think that Bubba is on the right road though to challenge.
2) of the ones you listed in Nats. I'll put my money on RC, but I think that Hannah has to get my nod out of the ones not listed.
3)US open is always such a coin toss, but I'm going for Doug Henry. That guy will always be my favorite Mxer. You'll be hard pressed to find a more likable guy or a rider with more desire.
4)I don't know I didn't really understand the terms/conditions. If adverse condtitions are the factors I'll go again for Doug Henry when he won the Sx in Dallas(I think it was Dallas) in 95' when it was thundering and dumping rain as well as HAIL!!! :ohmy: That was an unreal race to watch.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
In SX and MX Jaroslav Falta would be the run away winner every time (if everybody was on a CZ). :)

pace

Nov 21, 2003
SX. Bubba and MC.
MX. Carmichael.

Bubba does things on a 125 on a SX track that most 250 riders couldn't pull off. I remember being trackside at Vegas this year watching Bubba repeatedly pull off a triple-triple in practice that nobody else could do. Chad attempted it twice and came up short the first time and overshot the turn on his second attempt.

-Pace

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Mod Killer said:
all on equal 250's, all in there prime

I hate to say it. But, James Stewart may not be in his prime yet :yikes: Don't get me wrong, that kid is fast, incredibly fast. But I do believe he will get better once he moves up a class, (mabey not faster, well I better not say that too loud) but I think he will show us more new ways to get around a track on a bike, that we never thought could be done. Some of the stuff he has already done is just simply amazing, and we all know he is just getting started. But anyway that's a tuff one to rate

1.James Stewart
2.Rickey Carmicheal
3.James Stewart
4.Rickey Carmicheal

The only reason I put RC above riders like David Bailey, Rick Johnson, Bob Hannah, and Roger DeCoster, is because of the physical training routine he has. I feel like he would just outlast these riders, if he could not ouride them (I say this because I got into MX after they were retired so I never saw them ride ;) ). And as far as the SX, Bubba is hands down, just plain faster, smoother and anything else, than everyone out there now.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
We know we all would love to see James run a 125 in the 250 class :p There is no doubting that the lap times, you can not deny that. Sure, he would have a heck of a time working his way thru the field for mabey 15 or so laps to get to a 5th place spot. But I would venture to say, a podium finish would not be out of the question. His lap times are there. But that would make for one heck of a race. I liked that one guys idea (on here) on another forum about a single race, where it would be "Run what you bring". That would be cool. :laugh:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
ive loooked at bubbas lap times and total race times, they appear to be close to the leading 250s but rc cruises for the entire last lap normally,and bubba doesnt, this means he wouldnt actually be as close to the top 3 in the 250s as it appears.Also if bubba was to ride on his 125(which he cant as rules say no) he wouldnt be able to sweep corners and use 125 type lines so his speed would be impaired.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
and bubba doesnt

You sure, Marcus? I looked @ Budd's and Southwick. They both pulled back on the last lap of the 2nd moto, and many times both moto's.

The difference seemed to be that RC had a lot more 'reserve' (based on the numbers alone), by pulling god awfully fast times on the first 4 or so laps, and then cruising after that. Bubba stayed at consistent speeds, which actually equalled or bettered RC's for about 3/4 of the race.

I think it all comes down to individual style.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I think MC is/was the best in SX.. He was so dominating, but yet SX still gained in attendance .. People paid too see him win..
MX, no doubt RC :worship:

The future is w/Bubba IMO..

john3_16

May 17, 2004
pace said:
SX. Bubba and MC.
MX. Carmichael.

Bubba does things on a 125 on a SX track that most 250 riders couldn't pull off. I remember being trackside at Vegas this year watching Bubba repeatedly pull off a triple-triple in practice that nobody else could do. Chad attempted it twice and came up short the first time and overshot the turn on his second attempt.

-Pace

True...True...MC used to do the same thing in the 125 class..He'd jump things that maybe 1 other 250 rider would...

1. SX= MC
2. MX=RC
3. Open = MC
4. MX style= RC

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
MCs corner speed in sx was lacking-we saw this when RC beat him-he was too slow in the bends and tried to make it up over jumps by staying low etc, once the others could do this you saw MC fade back.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
What Wraith said.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
muddy226 said:
Well, I reckon that Bubba is the fastest ever, but whether or not he is the best remains to be seen.

Good point. The way I look at it muddy226 is, there will never be "a best". We all know the riders will just keep getting better and better, and surpassing last years, generation of riders capabilities. We will just hold on to OUR "favorites" and that is what will make them stand out, not only by the way they rode on the track. But also by the way they represented themselves and the sport off the track. That to me, is what makes a rider the best.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
IMO bubba and rc have the right thinking, they ride very hard, trian very hard and have great desire to win, whats left to make future riders better? only diet and modern excersice programs, this type of thing will be the difference in the future-assuming all noisy thumpers allow mx to exist for future generations :bang: go yamaha and the new yz125 :yeehaw:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
1. RC
2. RC
4. RC

Hands Down.

3. ?? Who gets the holeshot?

john3_16

May 17, 2004
marcusgunby said:
MCs corner speed in sx was lacking-we saw this when RC beat him-he was too slow in the bends and tried to make it up over jumps by staying low etc, once the others could do this you saw MC fade back.

We saw this the last couple of years of MC's career...However, remember that RC didn't beat him right off!..

All time SX rider you still have to admit MC...7 chanpionships...RC's got 3....He's gotta win 4 more to match that...
Outdoors...It's all RC.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
As a fan i couldn't care less if RC ever got another SX title...I hope he specializes in the Out Door series the way MC did on the indoors. I don't think MC had the quality of competition RC has and will face. Especially when you concider who's on the horizon....CR, James Stewart, and....Alessi!(At least he thinks he's at that level)

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
1. SX - MC
2. MX - RC
With what both have accomplished, I cant see where there is any arguments.
I'll go out on a limb with this next statement....
What happened to Bubba yesterday will be a taste of things to come once he gets into the 250 class. Once he gets a poor start or something, he will panic because he cant stand to lose, then he will wreck out.
There was talk on this past saturday that he was all upset because the 250f were hooking up better.. he didnt look like he had any trouble in the 1st moto tho.
People talk about what he does on a bike and all, which I understand, But KW is a natural talent as well, how many titles does he have?
Untill Bubba wins at least 5 titles in the 250 class, its all pure speculation and Bubba-hoping. give credit to where it has been proven in the 250 class. In fact, it is kind of insulting that people think he is the best ever over types like Hannah. I would bet though, that Bubba can do a better Sprinkler dance than Hannah......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom