bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
I am in the process of mentally choosing the best trail bike for myself and I would like some answers from those of you who ride KDX.

1. What advantage does the kdx 2 stroke have over a 4 stroke for the casual rider? (I thought 2 strokes were motorcross bikes)

2. I have heard that the 200/220 is easy to learn on and ride, is this true?

3. Is it true that the green color makes them go faster ;)

Thanks, FYI I have 3 bikes in mind--XR250, KLX300, KDX200/220

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
1. The two stroke is a more peppy and i find they are more fun to ride.
2. Yes, very.
3. Definatly... go Green!

.... . . . kdx is your best choice.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
My reasons for choosing the KDX over the XR (any XR for that matter):

1. Lighter - you will be surprised how much pushing & lifting you will end up doing once you get off the fire roads & on the trails. Especially when you completely lack riding skills like me. :)

2. Better performance stock - by a mile. And lets face it, part of the attraction is just wicking that thing open when the trail is straight.

3. Much better performance potential - KDX aftermarket parts & mods are available to create a world class enduro machine. Fredette has won, what, 5 or 6 Gold ISDT/ISDE's? Thumper fans will disagree, but I think it would take a pretty big checkbook to get an XR up to that level.

4. It was the closest thing I could get to a modern day Hodaka. (this is where the ridicule will probably begin....).

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
I have a 2000 kdx 200.I love this bike.Its good stock and responds to simple mods very well.I also have owned an xr 250.KDX is much lighter,easier starting,better throttle response,better suspension,water cooled,etc.Owning a two stroke is messier,a little more work,but worth it.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
A 2 stroke is alot more fun than a 4 stroke. I've owned both. The kdx is super easy to learn and it grows with the riders abilities for cheap. The 4 strokes don't. The parts for a 2 stroke are generally cheaper, but the downside is you go through more top ends. It simple to put them in and only takes a few hours of maintainence to keep it going forever. The kdx is very reliable. The green makes them go much faster. It bonds with the woods because the trees like the color so much.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I would pretty much echo what everyone else said. The key word is Trail/Play bike though. Most 2 strokers are MX oriented and it's harder to dumb one down that to spruce a KDX up.

#1 Weight, I haven't met a 4 stroke yet where I'd put up with the weight, except maybe a YZ 426, but there I won't put up with the starting woes, and again that's a whole nother beast :D and not a 'Play bike'.
#2 Ease of maintenance. Somewhat, I know of XR's that have had nothing but plugs put in them for a few years now. But two strokes are simpler mechanically,
#3 This site & forum. Not to be over looked. I'm sure the quality of information on other parts of DRN are good, but the information you'll find here on KDX's alone is amazing.
#4 KickStand, sure you can put one on an MX'r and a lot of 4 strokes have them and a lot of people take them off. But for starting out, and definatly if you are riding with/behind kids, you want a kick stand. Kids seem to crash where there are no trees or anything to lean a bike against, at least mine do :)
#5 Putt-Putt abilitiy. You have that with a four stroke, but not on a lot of two strokes. You do with the KDX.

-MD

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Lets get something strait here! Comparing the KDX to the KLX300 or XR250 is like comparing Pete's Wicked Ale to Bud Light and Keystone.
I think the KDX vs. the XR400 is more realistic, and $1,200 less.
-JMO

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
I think the KDX vs. the XR400 is more realistic, and $1,200 less.

I completely agree with this statement.I have both a 220 and a XR400.For long steep hills or heavy sand conditions the XR is a better bike.For the occasional ride on the MX track the DX is much more fun.For everything else both bikes handle it equally well.Stock vs Stock the DX will pull an early lead in a drag race but the XR will catch it and pull away but it is still a close race.I enjoy both bikes.Sometimes I ride one for about two hours,come home and wash it and then I take the other out on the same terrain and then bring it home and wash it also.Makes for a long day sometimes but I enjoy every minute.Comparing the 220 to an XR250 is not possible.The KDX will stomp it no matter where you ride them.The KLX300 is a little closer to the KDX but the win still goes to the KDX in almost every area.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey flashburn we have the same play book .i find myself washing 2 bikes often enough,however i'm loading the kdx lately .my other is a klx300 a fine bike.remember the next 2 things.if ur gonna have one bike go for it the first time instead of getting something less and bein sorry later.only u know what bike that is for u.good luck

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
bnt55:

Just so you can be sure you get balanced feedback, you may want to post your same question on the Thumper board. I don't spend a lot of time there, and I doubt they cruise through the KDX trail very often either.

Of course, if they are the completely forthright & upstanding type, they will only confirm what you read here! :)

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
As a first bike you won't go wrong with an XR250 or a KDX. Try going to a local riding area and offering 10 bucks to ride somebody's bike. Money well spent if it works and you buy the right bike for you.

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
Well guys I think my mind is made up, I am looking at a clean 1992 KDX200 tomorrow and the guy wants $1400. He said he has gone thru the bike (whatever that means) and everything checks out. Anyone have any ideas of how to test a KDX for problems? You guys have been a great help.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Just the usual things like sprocket wear, cables, tires,Etc. If the guy takes care of things you will see that in every thing he has and the converse is true as well. Not a big market for 92's. you might get him to deal.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
make sure you check swingarm and linkage bearings for wear - they are expensive. Sit the bike on a stand so the back wheel is ff the ground, and try to move the swingarm side to side, front to back and up and down. any looseness or 'clunking' from any bearing indicates wear.

Also, do a similar check on the headstem bearings, feeling for 'binding' or stiffness when you go from lock to lock which may indicate a trashed bearing also.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
the guys r right ...visual chk the stuff they mentioned. i've gone to see a "clean one owner" to get there and say "where is the bike u advertised ,this sure as **ck can't b it" but a lot can b overlooked inspect the forks, their seals and brake calipers.anything leaking is bad.u must ride it if he says no.....leave .rev it in gear w the clutch pulled in if it wants to lerch fwd it needs clutch work

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
If you are a grizzled veteran, forgive me for being so bold here.

But if this is going to be your first dirt bike AND you have not ridden before, maybe the best advice is to find someone to go with the first time out. You will have many questions, some you have not thought of yet, and some you will only realize as you are looking up at the bike falling down the hill on you (just kidding).

Truly, it can make the difference between the greatest pastime in the world and a nightmare. Especially since it sounds like you may be buying used, it would be great to have someone give it the once over.

And have fun !

Top Bottom