why are brake rotors always on left side of bike?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi, the magazines complain about the long lenths of brake hoses going to the rotor, why dont they just put the rotor on the right side of the wheel so the hose will be shorter? is it because the rear brake is on the right and it makes it balance better ???

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We had a discussion about that yesterday. Is it due to the Japanese and their silly patent laws? Or is the result of not being able to make that sharp of a turn with the brake line.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Honda has a patent on their front brake hose routing so it can directly to the caliper from the master cylinder, while other manufacuters have to run the hose under the fork (USD forks) then up to the caliper.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I think the flexibilty and the arc of the line has a lot to do with it. at full bottoming of the suspension you are going to have 12 inches of extra line that can't kink or get tangled into anything. I think street bikes with two discs on the front have one of the lines run up the right side but they don't have as much suspension travel problems.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
or around the chin gaurd of your helmet if you are in the proper attack form.

That would be fun hammering thru some whoops with your neck smacking against the crossbar pad

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I would guess that it has more to do with the arc of the cable as it moves with the suspension. Imagine having 11 inches of cable creating a hoop (of sorts) that a tree branch could easily snag (assuming it was on the same side as the lever). It would also create more stress at the mounting point of the master cylinder due to the increased movement over the shorter range.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by jmics19067
or around the chin gaurd of your helmet if you are in the proper attack form. That would be fun hammering thru some whoops with your neck smacking against the crossbar pad

That sounds remarkably familiar to a couple run ins my camelback bite valve has had with the brake cable :) Up until I shortened the hose I had lost 2 bite valves and got tangled up several times that produced a rapid rise in pulse rate!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I know that panic well , all too well way back when top of the line motox bikes had 6 inches of fork travel and mechanical/cable operated brakes. Some young snot who didnt know anything figured it wouldn't matter if the brake cable is on the outside of the throttle cable or inside. Well this noose proceeds to reach up and grab the mouthgaurd of one of them spiffy new full face bell moto helmets. In a panic this wide eyed blue knuckled numbskull proceeds to jerk up his head to fight against the cable.
Well it only got better folks , as the brake cable is being stretched not only is it try to apply the front brake but was also strecthing the throttle cable that didn't seem to matter only minutes ago. I was up for a real Darwin Award let me tell ya.
I may not be young anymore but thank goodness I got old enough to learn from that mistake, and I may not know much more than I did but cable routing is not an issue on my bike. If I am doing some type of wierd creation the springs are taken out of the suspension and everything is checked from full lock to lock, extended and collapsed and every possible way in between that I can think of.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Be.cause the predominant gas in the atmosphere Nitrogen reflects blue light. As for the hose mounting, I would agree with the prior post of the most unrestricted and straightest path. IF we brakes with our left hand it would most likely be on the right.

Erik
2002 CR250

bro

Mar 21, 2002
...speaking of brake hose routing....

I finally figured out what the little strap is for that comes off the top of the front number plate and goes around the handlebar crossbar. Mine was getting raggy so I cut it off. I soon discovered that as the forks compress the brake hose can sneak in behind the number plate if that strap is not there.

Lesson #369 learned the hard way.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i used to tuck my cable behind my number plate so it would look better, till someone pointed out that the cable needs to move up and down freely.. duh...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…