kooldad

Apr 23, 2010
Just put new wheel bearings on the rear of my 2000 XR200R. I did it without a manual, but it couldn't be that hard right? I've looked closely at the schematics and I have everything back together right, but when I tighten the axle the tire will not turn. It is something to do with the brake drum. I know the brake panel is supposed to turn freely inside the brake drum and it does until I apply even hand pressure. So when I tighten the axle nut it really will not turn. Am I missing a part or what? The bearings are seated completely, there is a bushing on the left side only, and a seal on the left side only. There is no place for a seal on the right side. It has to be something missing. Either an o ring on the brake panel or some kind of spacer between the brake panel and the right side bearing.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kooldad said:
I did it without a manual, but it couldn't be that hard right? .

Therein lies the problem. ;)

It seems obvious you must be missing a spacer. Go on the Service Honda site and check out the parts blow-up for your model.

kooldad

Apr 23, 2010
That was the problem. The parts blow does not show a spacer. However, a washer used as a spacer fixes the problem. The brake panel must ride against the inner race of the bearing. The right side bearing was seated too far inside the hub. I guess the correct way to do it would be to only install the right side bearing flush with the hub, then put in the axle spacer and left bearing. Thel left bearing will not bottom out, but will ride against the axle spacer thus keeping the right bearing from pushing in farther. The left side bearing retainer will hold the left side bearing in place. Don't know if that is the correct way, but it works!

Top Bottom