Why does only one KIPS shaft have an O Ring?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
There are two KIPS shafts that drive the sub port valves - one left and one right. The right one has an O-ring, and the left does not. Anyone know why? - Or what function the O-ring serves?

(mine looks like moths have nibbled on it, but it does not appear to be a part that can be ordered separately).

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
O-ring? :scream:

is that the 43049 O-ring on the crank side shaft?

I'm looking at the exploded view and i am kinda perplexed myself. Maybe it has to do with keeping dirt out of the mechanism. This is an interesting one.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, it is probably to keep out dirt. Because it is on the side with the shaft, and the cover might not trap all dirt and dust, while the other exhaust valve rod is on the opposite side, where it is pretty out of the way of dirt. That is my guess.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I think you guys are looking at a different O-Ring. The one I'm talking about is integral to part number 46102-1384 shown on the "CYLINDER HEAD&CYLINDER" parts diagram. There is no separate part number for it. Look at reference point "B" on the following sketch:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/correction.html

http://www.bryankimsey.com/dirtbikes/KDX/KDX_shafts.JPG

It seems odd that there are two shafts. Each performs the same function: to turn the subport valves - yet one has an o-ring while the other does not.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I am thinking of the correct one. Because the actuator arm comes up on the side with the exhaust valve rod with the o ring on it, it may be exposed to dirt and such via the actuator arm cover and rubber boot may not be a tight enough seal. While the opposite rod dosnt have an o ring because the dirt will have to travel all the way across the powervalve linkage to reach the exhaust valve rod bore to cause any damage. Maybe this one was a little clearer. Anyways, I cant think of anyother reason that o ring would be there.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Yep - i am thinking of the correct one too. Probably a Kawasaki cost reduction for the reasons mentioned before.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Thanks. I see it now. I missed the part number on it the first time around.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I am under the impression that the o-ring is there for identification purposes only; so you can easily tell one shaft from the other.
Regards,
Lutz

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I would have to disagree there. Companies are constantly looking for ways to save $$ (or Yen). If it were purely for ID then a simple punch mark or the like would be used. It is not cheap to have to machine the groove and supply the O-ring.

My $.02

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sage has said he commonly leaves the o-ring out to (from his point of view) no ill effect.

I've been curious about this o-ring for a long time. Never have seen/read/heard an explanation that holds any water.....speaking of which, maybe it has something to do with cylinder construction that is not readily observable..something to do with a water passage?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…