dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
I realize kawasaki probably had too many sizes of kdx's in the past, but with ktm selling 300exc's like hotcakes, and considering what most of us use our kdx's for, why haven't they come out with a 300? I'd buy one!

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Since the epa's new emissions law has all but banned two strokes(with the execption of closed course comp. bikes) it wouldn't be in their best interest. there would be a better chance of seeing a 400/450 four stroke to compete with the wr's/exc's. as far as competeing with the gg300 and the ktm300, kawasaki would have to use the new kx250 as a platform for it to be an equal to either of those bikes.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Just seems to me that even though some like the 200 and some like the 220, these are too close in size to cover the market. I realize 2 strokes may be on the way out, but why not keep the 200 and jump to a 300 for a truly wide powerband with lots of grunt, plus a probable long life? If I could buy one in 2004 I would probably still be riding it in 2012!

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I completely agree with you on the 200/220 deal. I owned a 98 kdx200 which i rode for about 2 years (couldn't have been a better bike for me). my neighbor recently bought a 220, which i got to ride. the only difference i could tell was that the 220 felt like it reved slower. Now i am sure with mods, the bike can be MADE different, but pretty much the same starting point. the 220 dispacement also causes problems with class structure in harescambles/enduros. sera's enduro classes now read 225 c, 225 b, ect. ok, i will stop ranting now.

will

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I would buy a KDX300 in a minute!!! I love the handling and feel of my KDX220 but it could use a bit more power!!! 300cc's would be perfect!!!

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Tom, I agree, I love my 200 but tough woods with big hills would be home for a 300. Sometimes on tight first gear trails going up long steep hills my 200 just runs out of steam. Seems to me like the kx500 engine might make a good foundation for a 300. Who else out there would buy one? Speak up, kawasumers!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I would love to have 300cc KDX, but it is unlikely. If you want to make your 200/220 feel like a 250 on anything but roads, switch to a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket. Easiest, cheapest and best mod I ever made for a fat, old, slow rider in hilly terrain.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Hey John, we may be neighbors. I live close to Tyler, I'm a member of ETDR and my kids race TCCRA. Anyway, I did the lower gear route, along with the gnarly pipe and other mods, and it is GREAT for a 200, but there are times when there is just "no replacement for displacement", and that is especially true in the lower rpm range. Thanks for your input, and until we can have kdx300's, maybe we'll bump into each other on our 200's(and I will be smiling and waving)! You know what they say, love the one you're with!

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I would love the bottom end grunt of a KDX300. Do you think this daydreaming of ours would make a difference. Kawa, are you listening?
I would hate it if Kawa force us to orange....

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Orange makes me shudder, but they do make the bike we are dreaming up. Does Kawasaki ever listen? They are the only Japanese company competing in the peewee 65's and stand alone in the 500cc market also, so maybe they would consider a 300.
p.s. Ever compare the dry weight of a KX500 to a KDX200?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
The listed dry weight of the KX500 is 220lbs., the KDX200/220 is 223lbs. Not much different, but the KDX feels 20lbs. lighter when you ride it!!! I have an '01KX500. I never thought I would say such a thing, but it has too much power for me. It spins like crazy at 1/4 throttle. Its also geared way too high to even correct with sprocket changing. It also fouls plugs like mad when you try to putt around in the woods. Its definitely not made for the woods. I've never pulled a spark plug out that wasn't black, even with the leanest possible pilot jet and needle clip in the top groove. The cool part, though, is the seemingly endless low end power that we all crave!!! That's why a KDX300 would be perfect for the woods: It would be tuned and geared for the woods!!!

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I think the 200 is perfect for the chassis. If I REALLY wanted more power on mine then I would build a 225/240cc race gas motor. I think it's the perfect balance though as the KDX is tiny. Keep this little engine that could jetted right and ride it aggresively and it'll take you anywhere. I don't really crave tons of low end, but the KDX motors do a nice job of providing more than most 2-strokes. If I wanted tons of low-end then I'd run out and buy a WR. I'd really hate to see them change anything as it's truely a one of a kind bike--small motor, small stance, NOT a kx125 w/ a flywheel weight, and NOT a 200exc. On the other hand a new KDX250 built off the KX would be a pretty sweet ride(ala 250exc), but only as an additional KDX to the 200(could scrap the 220 in favor of this 250 IMO). To sum it up, I think the KDX200 is a good comfy woods bike that can hold it's own on jumps, and an engine that will actually rip--don't touch it.

my 2c

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks for all the replys. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my kdx200, and it does have a broad smooth powerband. I don't wish to see it changed except for occasional updating. I just believe there is lots of room for a light, strong, friendly, reliable 300, and that fits the demeanor of the kdx200, just with MORE. I also don't believe it would be much of a stretch for KAWA to develop. If you don't think there is any demand for a 300, just talk to a vet rider on a ktm300exc or even a mxc. Besides the ktm quirks, they wouldn't trade them for anything! A kdx300 would be better still for mucho miles and everyday trail riding. Maybe I should start over with a simple POLL question--Who would buy one? Administrators, what do you think?

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I know I've only had my KDX 200 for about a year, but I have to say, compared to the other bikes I've had in the past, this bike hauls. It may be the way it's jetted, or geared, or ridden, but mine has more power to weight than I have ever had before. Mine hasen't even been modded really, other than a different piston, and lots of TLC. My 94 will be around for another 8-9 years! No 300 for me.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks for the reply Dave, thats what I'm asking about. My 200 is probably the quickest bike I've owned in a long time, and if I rode more level terrain I probably would never change. But when I get caught half way up a big steep winding seems-like-its-never-gonna-end hill without a run at it, I sure would like a little more forgiveness built into my KDX. Same thing when I prove how badly I keep count and find myself in the wrong gear, I think a properly built 300 would pull a taller gear. But to be perfectly honest, next year my daughter will be 13 and wants to take over my 200 for crosscountry racing(may last her for years), and I'm gonna be looking for a new bike. So I figured I'd dream a little!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by dmcc
next year my daughter will be 13 and wants to take over my 200 for crosscountry racing(may last her for years), and I'm gonna be looking for a new bike. So I figured I'd dream a little!

Wow!!....she must be a good rider already! I know it's alot of bike for me and I'm a 200Lb guy, certainly in the power/accelleration area, if not in it's physical size! She'll love it I'm sure!

I'm assuming you want to stick with a 2-stroke instead of jumping to thumper class.. ;)

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Hi Dave, yes, she's a good rider, but it surprises me too that she likes to ride it so much. But at the same time, a lot of young ladies ride the kdx 200 in crosscountry. Compare it to a 125 and it has much milder manners, and feels light and nimble, and IMHO it is easier to ride than a 85 power wise.
But anyhoo, yes, I'm kinda stuck on 2smokers. Can't really explain it.(probably some kind of personality disorder resulting from breathing used yamalube).

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by dmcc
But anyhoo, yes, I'm kinda stuck on 2smokers. Can't really explain it.(probably some kind of personality disorder resulting from breathing used yamalube).

Haha! I hear that! I like the Amsoil and Ultra 94 smell myself! (Not to mention the sound!!!) WWWWWINNNNDADADADADADINNNNN!!!! :aj: hahaha!

Actually, the guy who sold me my KDX was using it for harescrambles and woods riding, but mainly his wife was using it for womens MX, so I'm not too surprised that the younger, stronger female riders are choosing this model. It feels significantly heavier than a 125, and even I sometimes have trouble throwing it around in the garage, but I can see why she would like it! I sure love mine! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom