fusion

Jan 25, 2009
hello everyone, so i just got 2 kdx's about 2 weeks ago for $500 (89 & 90) and both run ya i think i got a pretty good deal. anyways my question is why did they only put inverted fork on 1993 KDX 200 did they suck or something? because I've road bikes with inverted fork and they were a lot better then standard forks so again why would they do that? thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
fusion said:
I've road bikes with inverted fork and they were a lot better then standard forks

Better at what? The inverted forks tend to be better in harsher conditions while the conventional fork rides more comfortably at lower speeds.

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
_JOE_ said:
Better at what? The inverted forks tend to be better in harsher conditions while the conventional fork rides more comfortably at lower speeds.

The bikes with inverted forks handled better took jumps better and had a smoother ride imo and maybe the forks on my kdx are just worn out idk.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The inverted forks on the 93 are not a huge improvement over the conventionals used other years. If you want true USD fork performance you need to swap over some USD's from a good MX bike. Most people use kx forks for this conversion.

I have the 93 model USD's on my 89. I can't say that they are all that great, but mine do need a rebuild. I'd bet you will be able to tell very little difference between handling on the two bikes, assuming that both sets of forks are in good working condition and tuned somewhat properly.

J.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The USD KDX forks are on the 1993 - 1994 KDX200 and 1991 - 1994 KDX250. It is cheaper to make the conventional forks, so that may have been a consideration.

julien_d, do you have stiffer springs in your forks? When properly working with the correct springs, they are an improvement.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
glad2ride said:
The USD KDX forks are on the 1993 - 1994 KDX200 and 1991 - 1994 KDX250. It is cheaper to make the conventional forks, so that may have been a consideration.

julien_d, do you have stiffer springs in your forks? When properly working with the correct springs, they are an improvement.

Yes, I know there is some improvement there over the older USD's. I understand they are pretty much on par with the newer 95+ conventionals though. I do need to go over mine and check everything. I expect they'll be much better then. I have not replaced the springs. I probably weigh no more than 150lbs with gear, so I'm not sure if I should go stiffer or not.

J.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The main advantage of USD forks over good conventional forks is their structural stiffness. You can make both work very well, but the USD units will be more precise.
Thing is, it takes a Carmichael or a Stewart to appreciate the difference. Us squids on this forum can't really utilize the improvement. :p

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol, true there. The USD's are known for less deflection than conventionals, as well as having a bit more clearance since they don't hang down as far below the front axle. I'm sure the way I ride I wouldn't tell much difference assuming both were in decent shape. I really need to tear mine down. I'm still trying to hunt down that appendix to the E series KDX manual where they show the service for the USD's.

J.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
julien_d said:
lol, true there. The USD's are known for less deflection than conventionals, as well as having a bit more clearance since they don't hang down as far below the front axle. I'm sure the way I ride I wouldn't tell much difference assuming both were in decent shape. I really need to tear mine down. I'm still trying to hunt down that appendix to the E series KDX manual where they show the service for the USD's.

J.

What do you need to know? I may still have that in my manual, and I have a spare set of '94 model USD's +triples if you want them.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I have a manual. The information for the USD's is not in my manual. There are a couple pages that were added later for the 93-94 models with USD's.

SVandal,

What do you need for those?

J.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
julien_d said:
I have a manual. The information for the USD's is not in my manual. There are a couple pages that were added later for the 93-94 models with USD's.

SVandal,

What do you need for those?

J.

An email address for the manual pages.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I'd sell them for 20 + shipping for forks and triples. I may even have a spare caliper that I would throw in if it is around. If you are interested I'll take a look at what I have still from the KDX that I didn't use on the hybrid.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom