why the horsepower is not given . . .

tolga

Jun 15, 2005
Why the horsepower is not given in the brochures of the motorcycles, on manufacturer's web sites, or even in the owner's manual of the motorcycles that we purchase?

When I would like to learn the horse power of my motorcycle, should I have to wait the tests that are done by the magazines?!<O:p</O:p

What is there to keep it away from the consumer?

And, how can I learn the horsepower of my motorcycle when the sites or the magazines that I read do not cover my brand (at least did not since I have started to read)? I must be missing something, otherwise it is kind a stupid not share it with the potential and existing customers.

Does any body know what is the horsepower of Husaberg fe450, 450EXC, CRF450, and KX250F?

Also; and why the colors are fixed? Why not have a choice? Is it too hard to offer?

Thanks to all who ever will take time to read and respond.

Tolga

Bursa, Turkiye

Last edited:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
HP- from what ive been told , if the manufactures put a HP# to the bike and you take the bike to a DYNO and it DOES NOT meet the HP #'s that the manuf. listed you can go after them and force them to work over/repair/improve your bike till it meets that # listed.

i would say most big 4 strokes of today are 45hp + (on up to 70hp+ for certain euro brands)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I was thinking the same thing, Ford had this problem with Mustangs a few years back. Someone dyno'ed one that didn't even come close, and Ford had to either buy the cars back, or step up the power. I think they ended up replacing the intakes.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
the ktm 450 exc is i think 51 hp. i would like to know what kind of hp they are getting out of the 300 exc, that thing feels like its got 70 hp when your in the powerband. :ohmy:

Aug 26, 2005
I think the REAL reason they do this is to keep you in the dark about all the "wonderful" changes they make every model year, which sometimes amount only to new "bold new graphics". Also, it can be deceptive to simply look at peak HP and conclude that it makes a bike. As the KTM250SX proves, ultimate peak HP ain't everything, it's about being usable (the KTM is VERY usable).

Anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that an engine will make more power at the crank than after it has trasnferred to the rear wheel. It is a known fact in the automotive world that you lose around 15% of your total crank HP by the time you measure at the rear wheel with the typical manual tranny. Not sure what the % is on bikes, but they could easily release HP figures and get the word out about how to interpret RWHP. They just want to keep you in the dark. :nener:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I am not sure why they do not post HP figures. It would be great to compare, even if the numbers were just crankshaft HP.

Years ago, KTM used to publish HP numbers, and I believe those numbers are still available in Europe. Though generally in KW instead of HP. Remember that 746 watts are equal to 1HP.

Also, on a motorcycle title or MSO, the manufacturer may place a HP number in the proper box. Here in Florida there is often a HP/weight box. Not sure what drives the type of number placed in the box.

I am not sure if any of the manufacturers want to get into a HP war. However I think it would be good for us.

Personally, I would like to see dyno graphs on every magazine test, of any sort.

Chris

tolga

Jun 15, 2005
I believe those numbers are still available in Europe.....

Not all. For instance, KTM and Husaberg does not.

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
We all know roughly how much each size bike puts out due to reviews from the mags and it isn't going to jump significantly from one year to the next. As far as using them for comparison, the manufaturers would just lie anyways just like they do about weight. You also can't compare 2 bikes that were run on 2 different dyno's... they have to be run on the same dyno back to back to get at true comparison. This is a big issue with street bikes.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
It doesn't really matter, the hp numbers you see advertised for cages and street bikes are so unreliable they are totally useless. HP depends on so many variables, its not reasonable to put it down as a specific number. Its going to vary with tempature, specific engine (i.e. two fo the same bikes will be a little different), fuel, and a big one - how its measured. Do you measure at the crank? wheel? eddy current? dynojet?

tolga

Jun 15, 2005
The questions were . . .

Why the HP is not given by the manufacturer? And we all have read a comment about that and I agree that must be the reason (not to bind themselves w/ the customers by given out HP).

And... How can I learn my bike's HP? With out taking my bike to a dyno test? Of course the crank HP is differnt than wheel HP. It looses power on the way to wheel but how much and isn't the crank HP is given all the time?

So, let's help each other and be simple.

How am I going to learn my bike's power?

tolga

Jun 15, 2005
I am sorry but what is MSO?

This is my second language at the end.

Thank you all, for all of the answers.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Manufacturers Statement of Origin. It is included with every new motorcylce shipped to the US but I don't know if a similar document is required for vehicles sent to your country.

Top Bottom