sherrif

Jun 23, 2002
My engine has just been rebuit with a new bottom, rebore/plate and piston. My mechanic has told me to run at 50:1 (200cc/ 5 litres) after two tankfuls at 32:1. I see from most posts, that the general opinion is to run around 32-40:1. I don't race my bike, I just ride through the woods with the occasional flat out fire road. I'd like to get a bit of life out of an expensive rebuild before having to stump up cash too quickly. What do you all reccomend ?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I assume you are refering to your KX250. If you're not going to be screaming the engine, 50:1 won't kill your engine. In anycase, I'd run 32:1 for the extras lubrication that it gives. Up to 40:1 in a 250 is OK.

Be aware that changing the oil ratio will affect jetting so what ever you decide on, stick with it.

Jul 12, 2000
50:1 may not kill your bike, it depends on the way it is jetted and your riding style. But hey, if you put only 1.5 quarts of top-grade synthetic oil in your car engine and baby it, I bet that would last for a while also. :)

Running a richer oil ratio has many benefits, and in my experience, dramatically increases top-end component life. On a 125, run between 25:1-35:1. On a 250, run 30:1-40:1. Lubrication is one thing you dont want to skimp on in a high performance machine.

Langf

Sep 25, 2002
I use 50:1, if i was to chang to say 42:1 would i need to rejet? will the bike smoke if i didnt rejet because of the extra oil?

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I tell you what... I use what Motul recommends for its 800 2T Racing oil, which is

66,7 : 1 (1.5% or 150ml of oil for every liter of gas)

and never dah any problems at all. This is the forth bike I did it (YZ 125, KX 125, KDX 250 and now RM 250). It is true that I never ride like RC, but more like MC, technically and smooth (that's what my Mom says)...

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
more oil give more power, even up to 16:1 (rich rochrich did the dyno runs) and given the longer engine life you cant really argue with that!

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
If you were to go from 50:1 to 42:1, you would probably have to rejet. But probably only by 1 jet size and move the needle clip up a notch or two.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
going from 50 to 1 to 42 to one would probably make your bike smoke less actually. If your bike didn't smoke before at 50 to one it is possible that you will have to go up on the jets and down on the clip. What happens when you add more oil to your mix is that you are making the gas thicker and therefore can't flow thru the carberator as easily. I would run 32 to one simply because one 16 oz bottle to 4 galls of gas.

Do yourself a favor, do a search and read all of the different posts about jetting you can.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by RGalesi
It is true that I never ride like RC, but more like MC, technically and smooth (that's what my Mom says)...
Sounds like your Mom really Loves you. Give her an extra hug the next time you see her or she goes riding with you, she deserves it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by jmics19067
...What happens when you add more oil to your mix is that you are making the gas thicker and therefore can't flow thru the carberator as easily.
Not quite. When you add more oil to the gas there is less gas for the same volume of the gas/oil mixture. This means less gas in the air/fuel mixture which makes for a lean burn in the combustion chamber.
...Do yourself a favor, do a search and read all of the different posts about jetting you can.
Excellent advice :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Run 32:1 and you'll sleep good at night. :)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Not quite. When you add more oil to the gas there is less gas for the same volume of the gas/oil mixture. This means less gas in the air/fuel mixture which makes for a lean burn in the combustion chamber

True. Thanks for pointing that out .

Maybe a combination of both? If your jetting recquirements can change with the specific gravity of the fuel ,wouldn't the specific gravity change with the premix ratio changes? double indemnity?

Any how Sherrif richer oil /gas premix = leaner fuel/ air mixture. That much I know is true. Although I am still learning the whys and hows.

2000SE

May 7, 2002
But isn't the combination of gas and oil considered fuel and the volume of fuel going into the combustion chamber the same whether it is 20:1 or 40:1. The "fuel" to air ratio is the same right regardless of the gas/oil ratio? Thats the "jets" part to control the air/fuel ratio. The oil burns too right? Maybe not as explosively as the gas but still it burns.????? I can't see how adjusting the oil/gas ratio effects the air/fuel ratio.. I have a half a liter of gas and half a liter of air totaling one liter...the same as saying a quarter liter of oil a quarter liter of gas and a half liter air still totaling one liter...

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I would only really consider the gas the fuel, and the oil the lubricant. The oil does burn but not in the same way the gas does.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by 2000SE
I have a half a liter of gas and half a liter of air totaling one liter...the same as saying a quarter liter of oil a quarter liter of gas and a half liter air still totaling one liter...

Doesn't work that way

There are two ratios to be concerned about:

gas/oil for lubrication

gas/air for combustion

There are three variables involved, changing one affects these two ratios. Fuel/air ratio isn't really relevant.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm about ready to get in over my head so when I get a chance I'll do a search on this. It's been discussed before.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Y, Z

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I did some searches but couldn't find the ones that discussed how much the buring oil adds to anything.

James,
There is a fourm that has "good" threads that have been nominated to be there. But even they are somewhat fragmented like you say. I like the idea of a place to go that awnsers questions that come up over and over again. Most of the time users are just lazy or don't understand how to use the search. May Okie will set something up in his "spare" time

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
This is what I think/understood I have read and believe to be true.

specific gravity of the fuel will change jetting recquirements. <among a host of otherthing s that recquire jetting for>.

that and when your premixed fuel/ air gets into the bottom end of your two stroke engine the oil drops out of the mixture.

when you take apart the engine there is usually/should be a puddle of oil in the bottom that contains very little gas in it.

now this part is pure conjecture on myself
that if the specific gravity of the fuel is heavier it is harder for the airflow going thru the carb to pick up what it needs. needing richer jetting
And as the oil drops out there is less gasoline <from the more oil in the gas premix>in the fuel mixture , recquiring richer jetting.
now whatever oil that drops out of the mixture and gets splashed/ sucked up into the combustion chamber does burn, but not really as a part of the the airfuel power producing combustion process, but more like an after the fact built in incinerator . So I believe the original statements of RM guy and I are both right together but not correct separately.

If BWalker,Jaybird and /or Rich Rohrich care to step in and tried to straighten us out I am sure we would get the correct answer if we can understand it :eek: .

This discussion would actually probably be better off in the advanced technology forum on the hows and whys these things work. The bottom line is basicly that if you add more oil to your gas you will need bigger jets in your carb if it was jetted correctly from the beginning.

On the amount of oil you should use in your gas from what I understand should be within the parameters what the oil manufacture suggests. if the brand of oil you use says you can go to 50 -1. I would assume you would be adequately protected at 50-1. Or atleast as protected as the oil manufacture thinks is ok. High rpms , High temparatures and/or constantly high loads calls for more oil then less.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by jmics19067
High rpms , High temparatures and/or constantly high loads calls for more oil then less.
;)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
so when you get a chance do a search on this. It's been discussed before.
:flame: I alway's went with the dilution rate of the oil that I'm using. yamalube 2r = 40:1, golden spectrim 50:1 to 67:1 {have'nt used it in year's, just guessing on the ratio spread}

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom