Will later modeL engine fit in early KX80 frame?

MrKwik

May 10, 2002
I have an '83 KX80 that is in real good shape with the exception of the top end being bad, the cylinder and pistion are toast. I have seen complete running engines go for less than what it is going to cost to fix this one. Can I buy a later model engine and install it in this frame without modifying the frame? If so, what years would fit, and would anything else be involved?

Thanks
-Mike

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Best advice I could give is search ebay.com. As for mounting a newer engine in there I could beleive any engine from '83-'85 would fit in the chassis. From '86-'87 Kawasaki changed the 80's frame and engine design and from '88-'90 they changed the frame design again and the engine has been the same from '88-'00 basically.

MrKwik

May 10, 2002
I have been watching on ebay and all the engines I see seem to be from later model bikes, 86-90 stuff seems to show up alot. To put another twist to this, will a 125 from 83-85 fit in place of the 80?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
anything is possible if your skilled with a welder. Just consider what a bike of this vintage is worth. My biggest concern would be the suspension. YOu can make the thing scream but the suspension is still from an early 80's bike. Not really suited to the power your talking about, especially the 125 ideal.

Jason

Top Bottom