sandflyz

Dec 10, 2004
Right now my cr has a 48:13 gear set. Its way to fast in the woods. I want to buy another rear sprocket to slow the bike down but I don't want to have to buy buy a stack of rear sprockets to get it right. How many teeth larger should i go on the rear? I don't want my bike to slow either, but for sure slower than what it is now with the 48.
Anyone have any ideas?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I have 13/50 on my 2002 and that seems to work pretty well. But it would also depend on your definition of "tight woods" and "too fast."

sandflyz

Dec 10, 2004
tmk, thanks for the reply. Did you find the change from the 48 to the 50 a significant one? Based on how your 50T feels would you want a 51 or 52? With your 50T do you lose alot of top speed?

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
mtk said:
I have 13/50 on my 2002 and that seems to work pretty well. But it would also depend on your definition of "tight woods" and "too fast."
I agree with MTK, on my 2002 CR250 I run 13/51 ratio for woods/trail riding and its still not low enough (still too much clutch work in 1st gear). I gonna go up to a 52 tooth and try that. We got a lot of tight a$$ 1st gear trails w/ rock beds here in Hawaii. I refuse to ride a 4 stroke to make it easier(not as fun in my opinion) although I learned how to ride on a 4 stroke.

No offense to all you 4 strokers.

NWKX250

Mar 17, 2005
13/50 with an 11 oz Steahly flywheel weight. 1st gear used to be an asskicker on the tight sigle track that was full of roots, ruts and rocks. With the mods, its much better and not changing the gearing allowed me to keep most of my top end.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Ditto on the 13/50, with the 11oz FlyWheel weight, made all the difference in tighter handcut trails. Would even be better if I had one of those Magura clutches to slap on there, but I've got something else on the way.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
sandflyz said:
tmk, thanks for the reply. Did you find the change from the 48 to the 50 a significant one? Based on how your 50T feels would you want a 51 or 52? With your 50T do you lose alot of top speed?

I can't answer that, as the bike came with a 50T rear when I bought it. I'm also not the most experienced dirt biker so what is good for me is probably not going to work as well for a more experienced rider. I wouldn't mind it a bit lower, but I've also seen that it works better for me once I get my nuts out of my mom's purse and go a bit faster.

If it was REALLY tight stuff, a 51 or 52 would be a better choice, I think.

Probably your best bet is to put together a gearing chart in Excel. The tranny ratios and final drives are all in the manual, so wrap a tape measure around the rear tire to get it's circumfrence and then do the math to make up a speed in gears chart.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Just a suggestion, but if you ride a little varied terrain that requires a little of tight and the you also go to areas that are more open you have some other things to consider.

1 +/- on the front is roughly 3.5 one the rear, so if you go to say a 51/52 you can go back to the basically the stock ratios fairly easy by also purchasing a 14T front.

This is the type of flexability that many people need in their bikes and I have to always think a little beyond what I want for a particular area and look at some cost saving. If you go to either of these combos there are some other things to consider such as chain length, because the amount of adjustability and chassis length will be detrimentally effected and you will loose some high speed stability.

If you go to these combos you gonna have to add at least 2 teeth to chain length.

Top Bottom