Woohoo - Ferry back on the 450 for SD!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Man - I was really kinda bummed to hear of Ferry's switch to a 2-stroke for A3 - I mean he was in third in SX points going into A3, he was the only rider other than RC to finish top five all SX rounds, he has finished almost every season (MX and SX) in the top five since riding 4-strokes... and then he switches, barely makes the main, and crashes out of the main falling back to fifth in points. :think: Not to mention a real slap in the face for Yamaha and their big-bore 4-stroke. Maybe it is too much bike for SX? But they already got the guys standing on the 2nd and 3rd podium spot on 250 2-strokes. Still not bad - three of the top five 250 SX guys are riding blue. :)

From www.transworldmx.com

Ferry Back on YZ450F Four-Stroke in San Diego

Thursday February 06, 2003

Team Yamaha's Tim Ferry just phoned the TransWorld Motocross offices to inform us that he is fit and ready to race this weekend at Qualcomm Stadium. After suffering a scary crash at last weekend's Anaheim III event, Red Dog spent the night and much of Sunday afternoon at the hospital for observation. "When I crashed, I hit my head and my stomach really hard," said Ferry. "The doctors put me through a bunch of tests to make sure I was okay. They wanted me to stay through until Monday, but I told them that there was no way. I hate hospitals." Ferry sustained a bruised lower intestine, which "bound my stomach up." Until today, Ferry has been on a doctor-prescribed liquid diet. "Soup, soup and more soup," said the likable Floridian.

"Today was basically the first day that I could eat regular foods." Ferry returned to the track today, spending the afternoon testing his familiar Yamaha YZ450F race bike. Having spent last weekend aboard a two-stroke YZ250, Ferry will return to his four-stroke race bike this weekend in San Diego. "The doctors just released me to ride today, and I felt great," he said. "The jetting problems we were having before Anaheim III have been completely remedied. Kelly Smith tested with my mechanic Steve Matthes all week long and they got the thing running like a champ. Kelly ended up going in a radically different direction, and it made the bike run great; better than it's ever run. I can't wait to get back on the 450 and race it this weekend."

When we questioned Ferry about his weekend aboard the two-stroke YZ250, commenting that he didn't look very comfortable on it, he replied, "Yeah, I know. I felt great on it, and I was actually faster on it at the Yamaha test track, but there was no way I could realistically get comfortable on it after only one day of testing. Before then, the last time I had ridden a 250 two-stroke was back in 2000! I would need a month to get used to riding a two-stroke again."

Interestingly enough, Ferry admitted that his crash at Anaheim III may have been due to his unfamiliarity with the YZ250. "I think that could have been part of it," he said. "You have to ride the two bikes so differently. My timing was off, that's for sure."

Because he crashed out at Anaheim III, Ferry slipped from third in the series point standings to fifth, eight points behind Ezra Lusk and David Vuillemin, who are tied for third. "At this point, I want to get out there and ride as hard as I can," said Ferry. "I still have a shot at this championship, and I feel great on my bike."

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I prefer Timmy on the four-stroke anyways. He seems to be the most consistent rider for them. It was classy for Yamaha to let him come to realize this fact for himself though. I respect Yamaha for that. Now he's totally focused on the YZf again, which is better for Yamaha in the first place!

Top Bottom