Wooo! Scored me a 85' 500MX...pics

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
Just picked this up. Needs work but its mechanicaly solid. Dyno Port Pipe and silencer, Z racing radiator guards, reeds, and acerbis plastic. I was looking at specs and i was pleasently surprised to see it has 62hp from the factory....and here I thought the cr500 with 55hp was fast. What do you guys think?

it wil only let me post one pic for some reason...

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
nice bike, i had an 88 ktm 350 mx and that bike was crazy fast, i cant imagine a 500. kicker on the left? that bike was a bitch to start. i will try to put some pics of my old one up. i will say though when i went to my newer bike the handling was sooooo much better. the old bike held up better though.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
oh yeah, dont break anything because replacement parts are impossible to find. most are discontued. i went to get a new pipe for my bike and since it was one that ran on the opposite side no body made one and ktm discontinued it. :(

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I had one like that but older. Those run very, very well and I never had any engine problems. The horsepower may not, in reality be much more than a CR...it's probably a matter of how they measure/rate them...either way it's very fast.

As far as expensive parts, the only issue I had was the clutch. It started slipping and I was shocked to find out the clutch pack was $350+, keep in mind this was many years ago so with inflation it would be much more in today's dollars. I deglazed everything, shimmed the springs...the clutch stopped slipping and I didn't have any more problems. The fact that I had the bike geared to go 90 mph+ and it was only a four speed was not helping matters any.

These are bikes that have the kind of power to, if you want, go from zero to some rediculous speed in one gear, if you are willing to slip the clutch a bit on takeoff.

Mine would light the rear tire up on dry pavement at will.

Have fun!

jusme247

Jul 13, 2009
500mx

:cool: nice bike i have a spare green tank and seat if you are interested? they both came of a 1985, thanks

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Too bad you aren't a little closer to CNY...could bring it over and ride our 14 or so miles on our farm. I usually ride my 1979 KTM 420 MC80

picture.php

Top Bottom