Works Bikes: Anatomy of a hand-made racing machine.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Every once in a while, you stumble across something of historic importance, something bigger than all of us. Something few of us have the opportunity to not only see, but touch.

Today, it happened. I got a call from Thump about a bike for sale, but not just any bike... rather a rare R&D prototype; a one-off. A machine so rare, we thought they had all long since been crushed, as is the practice with such top-secret bikes.

What we are about to see here is the father of today's MX bikes. In fact, it's safe to say much that was learned also found it's way into sport bikes, cruisers and standards now on the road. Of course the most obvious benefactor is Harley Davidson, the design cues that grew from this bike are most evident in the modern day "Hog".

Picture number 1.
I rolled-up and couldn't believe my eyes; there it was! Just sitting there? Surely the owner doesn't know what he's got. The price.. $295. "Unheard off I thought to myself". There's more than $295 in the custom cables on this baby. I take pause to collect myself. Yes! a one-of-a-kind, hand-made S&B 100 RR. (Rad Racer). S&B (Skull & Bones) was a skunk-works operation funded by all the major Japanese manufactures to secretly develop the "Euro Killer" dirtbike. Based on sales figures of MX bikes, it seems clear they were successful.

It was a good day.

Attachments

• ba_2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 476

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Picture 2.
I bet you think expansion chambers are only for 2-strokes? No sir. The original expansion chambers were intially designed by S&B for their 100RR. The pipes were so good, they did find their way onto the two-cycle engine soon after, testiment to the forward thinkers at S&B.

You'll also notice the "out of the frame" carb and Ram Air System (RASv1), which is detailed later.

Attachments

• ba_6.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 466

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Next up, Ram Air System. With a high performance pipe, they needed the ability to induce a LOT of air. Notice the direct to carb (DTC) cable management. Trick!

This is what thinking outside the box can result in; a true Ram Air system. Later, this technology found it's way into prodcution in the 1970 1/2 Trans Am. The rest as they say, is history.

Attachments

• ba_5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 466

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The controls: Always thinking ahead, trying to foresee what the racer needs, the hot shots at S&B developed the first Long Reach Cable System (you guessed it, LRCS). No worry of binding cables on lock to lock bar movement. This also eliminated the need for a number plate and strap, which aided the RAS as well as providing more cooling. But there lies a problem! Since cool intake air lowers max horsepower, the RAS was routed directly above the pipe (see previous picture) to provide a nice warming action, superheating the intake for maximum output.

Attachments

• ba_3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 463

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I'm speechless. Stunned. Now I know why you sold your CRF, you had this quantum leap planned all along. A year to master this beast and you will rule DW '06.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Stopping a machine with such devestating power requires the very best in brake components. Knowing that brakes can fade under racing conditions, the engineers developed the first truely adjustable brake. This small light-weight in-line device was so good as a matter of fact, it has found it's way into homes across the world serving various adjustment duties. On the track, the rider would simply reach down and give the adjuster a quick spin. Practical Inovation was the name of the game at S&B.

Note the use of nylon for weight savings. In fact there are several variations on this theme throughout the bike.

Attachments

• ba_8.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 449

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I want to see riding pics and maybe even movies with sound.

Look out, Sidewinder One!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I look at the tank of this beauty and I wonder to myself if they called this bike "Ol' Ball Buster"

LOL....nice find.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The principles of Aero Dynamics were obviously not lost on the men at S&B. Here we can see just that. Notice the custom body panel and "tweaked" rear fender. Unfortunatley, wind tunnel results were lost in "the fire" that ultimatley ended the run S&B enjoyed. It is said however that the last remaining issue that needed to be resolved with respect to aero dynamics was the seat and how best to attach it.

Alas, it was over as fast as it started. The two partners of S&B never really recovered from the devestating fire that consumed the facility and most of their work. No one really knows what became of them, but one thing is certain. Bill & Bob Cornwhackerman made a MAJOR impact on the bike you ride today. Have you ever wondered where today's masters of creation such as AJ Waggoner got their inpiration? Think about it.

Attachments

• ba_9.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 338
B

biglou

Holy crap! I feel like I need a tetanus shot from looking at these pictures... :ohmy:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Laugh as you will :laugh: but when Eric first asked if he could get a dirtbike 8 years ago I thought about getting a bike myself. One day driving down a back country road I spotted an enduro style bike chained to a fence with a '4sale' sign. I stopped to take a look and saw it was one of the old 1978 Harley Davidson (aramuchi built) 125 2 stroke. The kid at the house saw me and walked down to talk. He wanted $250 for it and I told him if it started I would give him $200 if it wouldn't start $100. He kicked and kicked and kicked with no luck I even pushed him so he could bump start it no luck. We agreed on $125 and loaded it in my truck. On the way home I stopped at my neighbors house as he was a Harley nut and I wanted to kid with him a bit about my Harley I just bought. I went in his house and told him that even tho I was not the Harley type I found one I just couldn't pass up . He asked what I got and I told him a 78 SXL (whih he had never heard of) and we went out to look. He laughed his @$$ of as we walked up to it but almost choked when he saw it really was a harley (of sorts).
He was also the type that just couldn't stand something not running so we unloaded it and went to work. First job pull the carb and clean it where we discovered the bowl was varnish and the slide was in backwards. cleaned the carb and lines out reassemble with home made gaskets fresh premix and started on 5th kick.
I put about another $100 into it (battery and cables) rode it for 2 years back and forth to work when I decided to sell it and buy a dirtbike for real. Put an ad in the paper but wasn't sure what it was worth and got several calls but one guy seemed really interested and asked me not to sell it until he could come out in 2 days. Figuring he was interested I looked around a bit found a couple on E bay and noted their prices and condition (no where near mine). He came out looked it over rode it around the block and came back asked how much. I said make me an offer I have had a lot of calls. Without batting an eye he said $1400. I think i must have looked stunned because he laughed and said that was pretty close to top dollar and explained he was from Harley Davidson and they wanted it for their museum display. I sold it right there- cool thing is They put my name on the plaque when it is displayed since I was the first owner to ever title it for the road.

There are many times since then especially once we got the toy hauler and vacationed on the beach in Alabama and Florida when I still wished I had it to run into town or just a beach ride.
So moral to the story Okie you better run out and buy that bike you never know Honda may come calling :rotfl:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
That thing actually runs. I talked to the owner of it, no BS. He tells me it is a 100cc motor in an 80cc chassis with a 125cc expansion chamber. I kid you not. He tells me that is was "frozeupsolid" but his buddy took the spark plug out and poured blue mearl (whatever the hell that it) into it and let it sit for a few days. Unfortunately it still would not kick over so they decide to "dragstartit" behind a pick-up just to break the motor loose. He says it was the damnedist thing, it skidded for a little bit then burrrrrr, the motor started churning and spitting blue mearl everywhere. "They throwed the spark plug in it and it fired right up".

He says it is "not powereful enough to buck him but it has some serious power". Even asked if I wanted to ride it, to which I declined.

This was the first ever 3-stroke motorcycle BTW. Serious forward thinking.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999

LMAO! I gotta know where I can get some of this "Blue Mearl".

I've seen tricked out rides like that one back when I used to ride out at Lake Lavon. LOL seriously!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Oh yeah, I gotta know. Did either of you get a chance to throw a leg over this badboy? Or was this a "serious inquiries only" type of deal. $$ talks. :rotfl:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
ROFLMAO! I just about ruined another keyboard when I read about the blue mearl(whatever the hell that is) explosion!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Okie, did you get a shot of the TWTANBC brake away front brake lever? (TWTANBC = Tied With Twine And No Brake Cable)

And the BAS (Broke as shiiii...) throttle assembly?

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I don't know Okie, a little paint and you might see things a little different...................sniff enough of it and it might look like a Harley :rotfl: :rotfl:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
My first bike,a Taco minibike....and I was "the nuts." In the late 60's, early 70's, I was the talk of the town. Suspension front AND REAR, 5 horse Briggs w/ governor removed, high performance cast-iron plumbing straight pipe, a WORKING drum brake AND throttle cable, and, HOLD ONTO YOUR CHAIR .......a JACKSHAFT! I later moved the rear shocks forward at the swingarm. Until today, I felt "full factory".......now I'm crushed.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004

Ah Ha! So you haven't been a two stroke guy forever......Did you have a 2T pipe opn your 4T as well? :laugh:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
YZ165 said:
Ah Ha! So you haven't been a two stroke guy forever......Did you have a 2T pipe opn your 4T as well? :laugh:

Actually, the way the old Briggs was all clapped-out, you would have thought with the smoking and plug fouling, that it was a 2 stroker.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…