Would a lean needle cause hard starts?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
My 03RM265 has just been rebuilt, bottom and top. The reeds look good with no splits, lifting or curling. Carb cleaned, fresh fuel/oil, air filter clean and a fresh plug.

Bike will start fine when cold, choke on. When warm, it takes 6-10 kicks.

Does this sound like a lean needle condition? Any other things to check?

Thanks, Steve.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
No...

The needle doesn't come into play for starting.. That'd be the pilot jet.

Have you tried the choke when warm? or maybe holding open the throttle? I have to do that on my 125..

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Thanks Indy,

I should have mentioned that it does start a bit easier if the throttle is held 1/4 way open. (just figured that out this afternoon)

I relize I may just need to change my starting technique. I've had this bike for 4 years, 3 of which were a 265. Never had this issue with starting. Jetting is the same before the rebuild.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Fox,

I have my idle low. Idles for 5 seconds, then dies. Idle adjustment is separate, not from the choke.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If it was a 4 stroke I would put a smaller power jet( more fuel). Try a bigger pilot, not the needle. It seems to me that adjustment on the choke knob was a specific number of turns, and it effected idle. And of course the air screw. Get it to idle for a minute and check the plug, wet or dry? Normally for an engine to be hard to start when warmed up, I would guess low compression.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Thanks guys,

I replaced my 45 pilot with a 48, 1 3/4 turns @73* sea level.

The bike starts a bit better. If I hold the throttle 1/4 of the way open when kicking, it works pretty good. It's was much easier to start before the rebuild.

This one has me scratching my head.

Thanks again,

Steve

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
Hard hot starting is usually a rich pilot issue like Indy pointed out above.

A big bore kit will also usually dictate leaner jetting. Most of the time it only affects the main jet though.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
snb73 said:
Thanks guys,

I replaced my 45 pilot with a 48, 1 3/4 turns @73* sea level.

The bike starts a bit better. If I hold the throttle 1/4 of the way open when kicking, it works pretty good. It's was much easier to start before the rebuild.

This one has me scratching my head.

Thanks again,

Steve

So now you are even richer on the pilot..

Hmmm... don't really see how that's going to make it start easier when hot.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Indy,

I must have mis-read your post.
I thought you meant I should go richer on the pilot. I will lean it to a 42 pilot and see where I am then.

Thanks again guys.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What does the plug say? You really need to determine if it is lean or rich. Look at the plug where and when it has issues. Wet, too rich, dry, it needs fuel. If it runs better, and the air screw is at 1 3/4, then you are very close with the pilot. An 03 with jetting issues, replace the float valve. It will simulate a rich condition. What kind of fuel are you using? A lean throttle will feel like the rpms are erratic. Rich and it just falls on its face. The plug, that is the easy way.

Top Bottom