would boyesen reeds be a good mod for a older bike

DirtRyder02

Mod Ban
Jul 18, 2002
i have a 1982 rm125 and was wandoring if boyeson reeds would be worth the money to get for my bike? what performance will it add? top end , bottom?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think the reeds are a decent idea. Check the reeds you have. If they are warped or damaged, go for it.

The 82 Yamaha's had stainless steel reeds. I imagine your bike does as well. If these broke it would be bad news. Maybe a replacemant due to time is the best way to look at it?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Boyesen Reeds are ALWAYS a good Mod. Cheap also. I run them on All my bikes.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
best mod i ever made on my 89 yz125 was going to 11/52 gearing, lots of fast bottom power with that...other than that,, perfect jetting is great mod.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
I put Boyesen reeds in my 86 RM250 a couple years ago, it was a big improvement. The 86 OEM reeds were a plastic material (nylon i think) and mine were wore out, had gaps of 2 to 3 millimeters between the reed and reed cage. The biggest improvement in my bike was at low RPM, with noticeably smoother idle, easier starting, and more low end. It's hard to say how much of this improvement was due to the Boyesen reeds compared to fresh stock reeds.

Stainless steel reeds last a long time, so if that's what yours are made of they might be OK. They will cause some damage if they break, though, like Rcannon said.

Whether or not it's worth it to put Boyesens in your 82 depends on what kind of shape its in and how long you plan to keep it. For example, if your top end is worn out, you are better off fixing that before spending money on reeds. If the bike's in good shape, then go for it! They will make your bike run better.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I put Boydsens 2 stage tourque (power??) reeds in my '79 YZ400 and was very impressed.
Smoothened out the power delivery, and made the bike much more "rideable".
Would highly recomend them.

DirtRyder02

Mod Ban
Jul 18, 2002
i dought my reeds are worn out (seing my bike is practlcly in new condion) but i thought some boyeson pro reeds would give me some more lowend!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…