Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
a 1990 KDX 200 with a bad piston for $500? The guy claims he took it to the shop and the bottom end, transmission, and cylinder checked out fine. The bike just needs a new piston and rings. It also needs a new clutch cable.

He has the cylinder and head off of the bike, so I am wondering what I should be looking at to check the integrity of the bottom end. If I remember correctly, the rod should have no up and down play, but a little side to side is normal?

I really want to get this bike, but I also really dont want to put a piston in it and have the rod come through the case on the first ride. The guy seems like he is pretty legit, but I know thats a chance you take on a used bike. I just need a little advice, and btw I can do all of the work myself.

Thanks,

Joey

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I'd skip it unless you want a 1000.00 1990 kdx. Just my experience that working on bikes is a matter of diving in and finding more things to fix than you expected. On mine it needed some plastics, a brake line, a new seat cover, and some cleaning. The more I have gotten into it I found it also needed a new master cylinder, muffler repacked, new water pump shaft and seals, etc. If you can get him down a bit more on it I would do it, otherwise I would save my money as I see the 95+ models going for about 1200-1600 quite regularly in good condition. Just my 0.02 from what I have been through with my bike when I purchased what the kid was calling "running condition". Sure it ran, but it needed a lot more before I would trust a 60 mile ride out through the desert and not worrying about it breaking down on me.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
SVandal said:
I'd skip it unless you want a 1000.00 1990 kdx. Just my experience that working on bikes is a matter of diving in and finding more things to fix than you expected. On mine it needed some plastics, a brake line, a new seat cover, and some cleaning. The more I have gotten into it I found it also needed a new master cylinder, muffler repacked, new water pump shaft and seals, etc. If you can get him down a bit more on it I would do it, otherwise I would save my money as I see the 95+ models going for about 1200-1600 quite regularly in good condition. Just my 0.02 from what I have been through with my bike when I purchased what the kid was calling "running condition". Sure it ran, but it needed a lot more before I would trust a 60 mile ride out through the desert and not worrying about it breaking down on me.
Couldn't agree more, you've got to get the old girls for nothing and you better love tidying them up as much as riding them or you'll have no fun.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Is that the one on Craigslist?

Remember that no one perfectly maintains the rest of the bike and lets the piston get worn out.

Who takes an engine apart just because the piston is ONLY worn beyond the specifications? If it ran poorly, I doubt he would have taken it to a dealer and paid for that information. If it didn't run at all, then it would be more likely.

Top Bottom