Would you sacrifice your ideal bike for a deal?

canuckjgc

Nov 8, 2007
I have another 2 stroke thread here which has been extremely helpful, thanks guys for steering me away from the TT230 :cool:

Would you sacrifice your ideal bike for a great deal? I can get a nicely maintained, non-raced 2001 CR125 with all the high-end MX gear that I need (boots, helmet, armour, etc) for $2000.

I know, the 125 doesn't much on the bottom (but I can mod it a bit), and not as ideal as a 250 in the trails, but this seems like a great deal around here.

At the end of the day they all go vroom as someone here said.

Thoughts?

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
I most likely would pass on a great deal. And a 2001 CR125 with some extras for 2k doesn't sound like a great deal. I'm going to be selling a nicely tricked out 2002 RM250 for just over that, so to me, your deal isn't really that great of a deal.

Personally I would stick to your guns and hold out for a 250, your only going to spend a few hundred more, you might even be able to work out a new helmet, and at that point you'll be light years ahead.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What part of Canada are you in? That sounds like a decent deal to me for this area of Canada although with the dollar as high as it is and the amount of guys dipping below the 49th to get bikes, prices have been dropping.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Chili said:
What part of Canada are you in? That sounds like a decent deal to me for this area of Canada although with the dollar as high as it is and the amount of guys dipping below the 49th to get bikes, prices have been dropping.

Gee, I live in Michigan, about 3 hours west of Sarnia Ontario. Come on over and I'll make you a great deal on my 250!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
zig06 said:
Gee, I live in Michigan, about 3 hours west of Sarnia Ontario. Come on over and I'll make you a great deal on my 250!

I already have an 02 RM250 and the 44 hour round trip drive would likely negate my savings :) You should seriously try to advertise it around Sarnia when selling, it will likely move fast at that price.

Since all you Michigan guys ride woods and you say it's tricked out, got an oversize tank for it?

zig06

Oct 4, 2007

Yea, the savings would have to be pretty big to drive 44 hours!!

An oversize tank is the one thing that I don't have. For most of what I do it's just not needed, but something around 3 gallons even would be nice ~ not too big and not too small.

As far as mods go, I've got:
Billet triple clamps (top and bottom) with oversize ProTapers.
Suspension re-valved for Hare Scrambles (190lb rider)
Boyeseen Rad valve
9oz FWW
FMF Fatty with FMF Q2
Moose Billet clutch basket
Moose Bark Busters
And a skid plate.

So nothing too trick, but definitely better than a stock bike (for me).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
canuckjgc, save your money till the spring and the buy a new bike then because winter is already here and its not that fun to ride in the snow anyways.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
2 strokes for life said:
canuckjgc, save your money till the spring and the buy a new bike then because winter is already here and its not that fun to ride in the snow anyways.

True but now is the season in Canada to be a lowballers delight, guys wanting to get out of their bikes for a sled etc. Likely to find yourself a much better deal now than in March/April.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…