DOOM! This electric bike thing is the end.

We can't ignore the future of our sport and its battery powered. There wasn't a big 'ol smile on my face as I typed that.

It's a when not if thing. My first reaction to this realization has been colored with my grumpy old-school mentality that will still engage in a heated 2T vs 4T rant from time to time. That was the big debate of recent history, but this electric thing? It's the end.

The end of our noise problem.

The lack of noise is the one benefit that will make possible negatives less important. We've all seen tracks shut-down as urban sprawl spewed housing developments next to our favorite parks. Bill and Barb move into their brand-new stick-built box and suddenly realize they can hear you turning laps if the wind is blowing just right. Can't have that! No track is safe. No local track is far enough "out there" to escape it.

With every evolution of the sport new problems are introduced and I'm sure there will be plenty this time around. BUT! Noise won't be one of them. That's a very large positive that makes any other issues much easier to deal with. If my pit bike would have plugged-in, I wouldn't have had the police showing up at my back yard "track" to shut me down. My local track, 30 minutes away, would likely still be there.

What are your thoughts on this stuff? Does the sport as we know it die or adapt?

eventually the music lowers and you can hear the lack of noise ...

Top Bottom