wow, weird problem.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, whenever I put my bike away for the night, in the morning, it takes like 12 kicks to start, or 5-8 hard ones.
for the rest of the day, even If you let it sit for an half hour-hour, it starts first kick.

once it is started, it pulls great, and runs really good.

what could the problem be?

even when I run all the gas out of the fuel line, and shut the fuel valve, in the morning when I go to start it up it is hard at first.

the weird thing is, the very first or second kick, it combusts once or twice, then dies. then it takes some more kicks after that before it starts.

do I need new rings?

how hard is it to install rings?

do I need to remove the entire engine?

here's my engine.
(pay no attention to the green circle)
It looks like it has enough clearance to where when you get the head off, you could pull off the jug, and put the rings on the piston.

last question. does it require any special tools to install rings?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do you use the choke? And since you seem to be draining the carb, how long do you give it to fill back up before you start kicking?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
um, maby 30 seconds.
not enough, huh?
nope, when I do use the choke, it starts a bit quicker, but not much. and when i blip the throttle while I'm kicking, it helps too.
it never used to do this.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Is kicking 5 to 12 times once in a day something so anoying for you to the point of taking apart the engine? When you finish riding, simply close the fuel valve. Use the choke with little or no throttle to start it.

Jun 5, 2006
if it didn't used to do this, your rings are probably starting to wear a bit, it's the nature of a bike. if it's bothering you enough, i'd say take off the cylinder and replace them. it's not that hard.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
trial_07 said:
IWhen you finish riding, simply close the fuel valve. Use the choke with little or no throttle to start it.
This is what I do, but I don't think that I ever even crack the throttle, 5 kicks is a bad day. If you ride at least once a month, a leaving fuel in the bowl isn't really a big deal.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I ride a lot, maby 4 times a week.

gmc, it doesn't have reeds, it's a rotary valve.
I guess I'll replace the rings.

HERE'S MY QUESTIONS:

1.do I have to replace the head gasket when I replace the rings?
2. do I have to replace the base gasket when i change the rings?
3.does putting on rings require any special tools?

thanks, Alex. :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is the carb shutting the gas off? The carb could be flooding the engine. Check the compression before you pull the top end and make sure the carb is not the problem.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
where would I get a compression gauge?
are they very expensive?
I dont think it is flooding the engine, because when I close the fuel valve, and run all the gas out of the line, when I open it in the morning, it takes just as long to start.

besides, why wouldn't the engine be flooded everytime it sat?
thanks. :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Do they have harbor freight stores up there? Cheap chinese tools are everywhere,how about autozone? Probably under 20 bucks and up.Some thing is going on with your fuel intake,which could also be your top end,process of elimination and start with the easier or cheaper things first.

1BAD250

Nov 21, 2006
Ok a compression gage is somthing you should buy for around 25.00 at autozone,& everyone has given you the right idvice if it were me i would have pulled the carb. & cleaned it good,for sure check the reeds any large gap or tear will cause hard starting if there is just a gap you can get by with flipping them over till you get new ones, & definitly do a compression test or if you do ride a lot & its been more than a year just pull it apart & check the bore size & order a piston ring set & a top end gasket set you wont need any special tools just be clean about it like any other engine,after you finish the rebuild start keeping records of run times & compression dropes,for your air filter i use dish soap carfully clean the filter,let it dry, then i use rubber gloves pore a amount in my hands & litely coat the filter if you clean it after at leastb every 3 good rides theres no need to worry about your engine reguler maintanance goes a long way..you bike is worth it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
When this began, had you riden in water or power washed your bike? If so, pull the flywheel cover. Look for moisture. Use some brake/electrical contact cleaner and allow to evaporate. With the cover off, carefully kick start the bike.
These older KE's still have points and condensors. All you maybe looking at is a tune up.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Yes
Yes
No just wrenches and needle nose plyers and stuff like that.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, thanks, guys.

what do I need to tune?

I'm just gonna replace the rings.

also, do I need to pull the piston out of the engine, or just the jug off?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
yep. gonna do it in my garage, since it's sealed, and it's a lot better than a dusty barn.
ok, so I dont have to remove the piston, just the jug?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok. yeah, I'll remove the tank, and scrub everything free of dirt befior removing the jug.

thanks for all your help guys!

MotoKing_1990

Apr 10, 2007
I have a rm85 and have to rev the engine about 3 times and shut it off on the third to get it to start in the mornings.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…