Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
It's happened, I've been bit by the 4-stroke bug! Now comes my dillema. I've been eyeballing the '03 YZ250f and the '03 WR250f, and I don't know which one to get. I ride anything from really tight, rocky, gnarly woods to wide open trails, and every once in a blue moon I ride a little MX. I like the WR for the e-start, the large tank, the headlights pretty cool, and the kickstand would be a plus. On the YZF I like the weight(or lack of weight i should say) and the suspension. I would really like to get some of your opinions on which bike I should get, and also some popular mods for both of the bikes.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I ride an '01 YZ250F in the woods and absolutely love it. I would not trade it for a WRF and six good horses!

However, the trails I ride are mainly fast, sandy, whooped up single track. It works great for the riding I do but a WRF may be better in the gnarly conditions you describe.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have done nothing to the bike except add a spark arrestor and fine tune the suspension. I run 2.5w oil in the forks and set the level at the low end of spec. I found that I was only using about 2/3 of the travel in front.

First gear is pretty high so really gnarly terrain will require a good clutch hand. I do stall it once in a great while if I get lazy but it starts right up once you learn the starting drill. You won't have that problem on an '03 with the auto decompress. It will only run about 60mph in fifth gear unless you raise the final gearing (but that makes first even higher) so if you are going to burn up and down two-trackers with it, you may like the WRF better.

Other than that, it is the most fun bike I have ever ridden. Light, fast, and handles better than anything.

Top Bottom