sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i think i know what a wide ratio is, 1 gear pulls over a longer period? i've also read that some yz guys put a 14tooth counter sprocket on front for MX, i plan on doing this too. i also was thinking that a pipe that builds more power down low would compliment this whole thing. the object is to shif into 3d and ride a better part of the track, as opposed to going 2d-3d in and out of corners. ok, how screw-ed up is this logic.:think

B

biglou

Sarge-The WR (Wide-Ratio) means that the lower gears are lower, and the higher gears are "taller" than on a CR (Close-Ratio) transmision. It is refering to the gear range of the tranny's entire set of gears.
On the WR tranny, first is going to be a stump-puller, while second will be closer to a first gear on a CR tranny. And top gear on a WR will yield a higher top speed than top gear on a CR tranny.
Going to a smaller countershaft sprocket will lower all the gear speeds just a bit, and bring the entire gear set into a bit closer of a ratio. (I'm thinking real hard about that last statement!)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
it seems that there is a jump in 3d (i had it in 4th..ONCE!) i was thinking that the smaller counter shaft would make 3d a good gearing for outdoor mx,bringing 4th down to be usable (with my riding skill) on the track.the problem is ,ussually i find if i start "going to noodle" on something,with the wrong info,it don't matter 'cause i seem to figure it all out, then when it comes to trial time, it just aint right, but this seems pretty solid.:confused:,oh yeh,when i see yz 426 race, they always seem to "BRAAP" like they're low rpm riding,as opposed to "braaaaaaaap" so i think the lower counter sproket,even tho reveing higher in the lower gears, would bring me where i think i want to be with the higher gears. oh shure..makes perfect sense. i need my ginko....

Last edited:
Top Bottom