IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Close but if you go to JayBird's Site, you will learn all you need to know about sproket care, lube and the differances between chains. BTW from now on I am buying from him. There is no way I will pitch the hype agains proven fact. He proved it and I am a beliver.

Jay, my hat's off to you! :worship:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by KXTodd
What is the difference between these 2? Both O-rings right? The x-ring seems to run about $30 more though?

the main difference is that one is an Oring one is an Xring if you could see the cross section of the sealing ring one would be shaped like an O one would be shaped like an X. The Oring only has one sealing edge where the Xring would have 2 sealing edges like a double lipped seal. Whether or not its claims of superior sealing is worth 30$ I couldnt tell you. I wouldn't buy it though.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
O-rings are completely round, like a donut.

X-rings are shaped slightly different from the o-ring, yet do essentially the same job.

This is a cross-section of an X-ring:

Attachments

• rk_rx_oring_chain.gif
    rk_rx_oring_chain.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 339

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
In simple terms O-ring chains will last longer becuase they keep lube in the chain better.   But their downfall is that they are heavy and need more power to turn resulting in loss of power.

X-rings wear out quicker but allow a performance gain over )-ring becuase they are lighter therfor easier for your engine to turn :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think the weight of the rings has anything to do with the friction factor. It's due to the construction shape of the x-ring that allows for less friction than the o-ring.
A standard chain can last longer than either the x or o-ring chain.

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird

A standard chain can last longer than either the x or o-ring chain.

With proper care it sure can, but many people don't properly maintain their chains. I run a standard chain and use MX1000's lube, and have not had to adjust it for a LONG time. I definetly reccommend thier lube and lubing procedure. Works Great!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
why will an X-ring wear faster than the O-ring?

todd, if you shop around you can get a chain sproket combo for around $120 with renthal sprokets and either an o or x ring chain

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by bclapham

todd, if you shop around you can get a chain sproket combo for around $120 with renthal sprokets and either an o or x ring chain

The man speaks the truth! 2ea Renthal sprockets and an X-ring chain, $134.60, the 14.60 came from S+H charges.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
You can find any combination you want here: http://www.mx1000.com/chains&sprockets.htm

As for where I got mine it was on close out and limited to the bike in my sig line. Go to Jay's site and he will treat you right. www.mx1000.com has taught me alot about chain and sprocket wear and maitenance. There is alot of good reading and knowledge there check it out.

Sphinx

Oct 16, 2002
I haven't found X-Ring chains to be $30 dollars more. If you look around at the major sites on the web, for motorcycle gear, you can find deals in the $120 range, as previously mentioned.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
What is the difference between these 2? Both O-rings right? The x-ring seems to run about $30 more though?
Man, where are you shopping?? Rocky mountain has an RK X-ting that fits my 125 for $51.00 I don't think I can find a O-ring chain for $20 anywhere.

Plus you can get a self cleaning Aluminum rear TITAX from them for $29 and a hardened steel front for $8. Can't really beat that. You don't need to pay $120 for a set. ;)

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Well? It seems Rockmtns O-rings are $20 more than the X-rings??????? I was going by Bobs and another place i found on the net, guess it was closer to $20.
I've ordered alot from Bobs and like them , hardly ever a problem but looks like I'll be trying RockyMtn,
Mike how do you like those Titax sprockets? Seem to last as long?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Mike how do you like those Titax sprockets? Seem to last as long?
The Titax sprockets actually weren't available at the time I bought my sprockets, I bought my sprocktes in 2000 and these came out in 2002. They are Machined 7075 t-6 aluminum, which is the same as the high dollar ones. If I had to buy ones now, those are the ones I would get. I think at this point that you might be paying for the name with the high dollar ones.
Well? It seems Rockmtns O-rings are $20 more than the X-rings??????? I was going by Bobs and another place i found on the net, guess it was closer to $20.
Not quite sre what you are saying here.... :think: I still think that the $51.00 for the X-ring is as cheap as you're going to get for either an X-ring or an O-ring and that's what Rocky Mountain has them for.

Last edited:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
It's cryptic for: the places I was looking were more for the xring. :)

Ordered everything today and even a new basket $10 less than anywhere else! The order taker girl was a little slow but she got it eventually, everything was in stock too, I might have a new fav. place!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I've always liked Rocky Mountain. I'm glad you gave them a try.

Top Bottom