XMAS Shopping with Kids

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Okay...I'm actually a little bit nervous about this activity I got myself into. On Wednesday, I get to go pick up 3 "at risk" kids and take them to JC Penney and help them shop for stuff for them with $100 of sponsored spending money (For each kid). I'm a little nervous about handling three kids (ages? not sure, I think they are 7-12 or something). I'm worried about losing one of them in a crowd the most. At least there will be about 20 other people from work with "their" kids in the store too. Then we get to all go have pizza at the YMCA.

Last year, the people at work came back with stories of how they went to pick up the kids at their houses and the parents were drunk or didn't remember that they had signed their kids up for this program, but couldn't wait to get the kids out of the house even though they did not know who my co-workers were. And then they would try to send the brother or sister along too (hey, free babysitting!).

And then there are the rules: No gang shopping! That means no buying the kids anything in gang colors. My friend Patti had one kid ALL pissed off at her because she would not let him buy Raiders stuff.

Well, like I said, I'm a little nervous. :|

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Natty, That's awesome of you to do! Just relax a bit and I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Nat,

You should do just fine. Put some ground rules down. Let them know you all can have a good time doing this if rules are followed. Since there is only 4 of you, have a buddy system. Let them know you are going to shop for one child at a time. That way you don't have them running all over the store. The other 2 can glance around while you do one, so when its their turn, they kinda have an idea what they want. Try and go for the necessities.....coat, hat, gloves, socks and then they can find a cool shirt. etc....Also go to the clearance or sale items first. Explain that they can get a lot more if they find things cheaper. That's all I can think of. Just make it a fun day for them. They may not get too many of them. They will be glad to see that someone cares.

Let us know how it goes. You go girl!!

Mrs. Gnarlykaw

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You'll probably have better luck with someone elses kids than you would have with your own. When I take my yard apes out to get something for their mother, it's a real rigamarole. Like herding cats.

Now, if I'm out with someone elses kids, the first thing I do is scare the bejeebers out of them, telling them how I really don't care if I go back to prison for killing another person, and then having expletive laced conversations with the voices in my head. The kids stay pretty straight laced after such a display. ;)

I'm sure you'll do great, Nat. You're a helluva woman for taking something like that on :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Natty: You will do great!

As mentioned, set some ground rules and plan for your day to be very special because children are the reason for the season in my book.

I'm betting that you will be sad (and likely tired ;) ) after you leave the kids.

The holidays will take on a very special meaning.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Most of those kids are so grateful for what you are doing that I don't think you will have a problem. If not, go spend the money on yourself! Kidding. You will be fine, I know it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bribe them! "OK guys if EVERYBODY is good and plays by these rules (fill in your rules here) then we'll all head over to (some cool place at the mall) for candy/special treat." Then you have to make sure they all understand that each of them can screw it up for the rest of them so they ALL have to cooperate. This is what my wife does when she's dealing with Brandowho and his pals. Me I pretty much follw what Pred does, they all know I'm the cool dad, but I might just kick their butts if they jerk me around (or so they think LOL!).

Just keep in mind it's going to be a lot like DirtWeek Nat, lots of new people with different personalities but for the most part all good people. Granted the kids will no doubt behave better and act more mature but I think your prepared. ;)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Nat,
I have a friend who has one adopted son that was "at risk", and they are getting FOUR more in a couple of weeks! since they are older, just remember who the parent is here, and don't let them push you around and have fun with it. This is a great thing you are doing, and most likely, the kids will be excited. HAVE FUN WITH IT!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! :)

I just got a list of some 'rules' around the gang logo no-no's. We are not allowed to let them buy anything with the UNLV logo on it. It stands for "Us Nortenos Love Violence". The Nortenos is a Nor Cal Latino gang. I would have never guessed.

Well, I have my assigned two kids, they are Malik and Malcomb, brothers ages 8 and 7. When we called the mother to arrange for their pickup, she wanted to know all about us and then called the school as well - that's a good sign, most of the parents did not even know about the Christmas shopping thing and still said come and get them.

I'll post how it goes, maybe even get a pic of me and my "kids" :cool:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Goodluck Natalie! We had the kids in today at the Walmart doing their shopping with their hosts. All seemed pretty happy and glad to be out. Us vendors all chipped in some goodies for the kids and they had a big party in the breakroom before they went shopping. There definitely were alot of happy kids as they loaded back up on the school bus.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Wow. How cool are you? :worship:

Sounds like you may have a couple of good kids to hang out with, too.

BTW, I'm taking an underprivileged woman out tomorrow night.

I love to give. ;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Nat, also watch out for the ECHO shirts, especially red ones, they like them too..

Sounds pretty fun!! Last year iu sponsored a kid through my friends work, felt good

Rick

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Wow Natty! You rule! Good luck, you'll be fine. Have a great time with those kids. I wonder if anywhere around here does things like that...I love children, as long as I can give them back to where they came from when I'm done with them! ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
squeaky said:
...I love children, as long as I can give them back to where they came from when I'm done with them! ;)
Funny, I heard Roost say that some time ago. He must still "not be done" . . .

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
that's just wrong Pred, plain wrong. :pissed:

funny, but wrong :rotfl:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
JuliusPleaser said:
BTW, I'm taking an underprivileged woman out tomorrow night.

I love to give. ;)

Make sure you get her "needs" met. ;)

Well, the shopping trip was SO MUCH FUN! My co-worker and I picked up the kids (Malcomb and Malik) at their mother's house at 4:30 pM and they were the sweetest two boys, I was already in love. Sweet, polite and obviously very much loved at home. They were all amped up about going in my Yukon. One of them loves Hummers and the other loves SUV's, hmmmmm.

We had pizza and I let them talk me into quarters for the toy machine, then it was off to Kohl's for shopping. The Modesto Jaycee's hosted the shopping spree and allotted $100 spending for each kid. They had a list of items and it contained all clothing (shirts, pants, socks, underwear, shoes).

WHAT? NO TOYS?????? :eek: Well, I decided to let them pick out a toy each (Aunt Natalie's treat). They picked out something a little more than I was expecting (Personal DVD players - uhhh, at least they were on sale :ohmy: )

The kids really wanted to get stuff for their Mom, Dad, Sis and Grandma, so we got them some other stuff too. I thought it was sweet that they were getting to spend $100 on themselves but wanted to shop for others :cool:

Then it was off to the YMCA for a big party with Santa, cookies, punch, face painting, baloon sword fights (I got to play and had about 12 kids all over me -ha!). It was a fun time.

I will do this again next year for sure.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You miss heard me pred, I believe what I said was "I love children, in fact, Pred is one of my favorite children. I'm glad he spends so much time harrassing me." :p

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
:cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nat's the bestest! :cool: :cool:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Papakeith said:
funny, but wrong :rotfl:

heheheh :) Oh come on PK! You know you're looking forward to having someone at the old folks home to play Canasta with!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
What!!??

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Ummmmmmm NO

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Great job Nat!!

You've definately got the Christmas spirit in you. :)

Did you sign them all up for Kohl's shopping cards so that they could get 15% off of their purchase?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I can't think of anything to say other than that is an impressive and truly selfless undertaking on your part Natalie. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…