(Non-riding) Report from Junior Shooters Camp

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My youngest, Tommy, started shooting last year when he was 9. Earlier this year we started shooting USPSA. Obviously, we're both hooked. When the chance came to sign up for the Junior Camp at Ft. Benning put on by MGM, http://www.mgmtargets.com/, and the United States Army Marksmanship Unit, we jumped on it.

As the date grew closer, I wasn't sure who was more excited, me or Tommy. Each morning he would tell me, "14 days to go!" What made it even tougher was that more sponsors kept joining in to help. Remington even stepped up and offered free ammo to the first 50 juniors that were signed up. When Rob Leatham said he was coming out to talk to the kids *and* to give a free class to the parents I seriously considered renting Tommy out for the weekend. I'm glad I didn't, though, as the long weekend turned out to be worth more than any amount of money.

When Tommy started shooting he kind of took over my M&P 9mm that I had already been shooting for a year. Between the two of us, it now has a little over 30,000 rounds through it and I was getting nervous. I've never had any problem with it, but I figured it needed some fresh parts. I ordered a recoil spring, trigger spring, and striker assembly. The recoil spring was backordered but I did put the new striker assembly in. Just to be safe, I borrowed another M&P9 from a friend. It turned out that Tommy never needed it so I shot that one during Rob's class. Come to think of it, *that* must be the reason it took me 10 shots to knock down that steel plate during the end-of-class little competition we parents had. Like Rob taught us, if the shot doesn't go where you intended, the very first thing you do is blame the gun. :)

Thursday evening we drove to Columbus, GA. Somewhere between Augusta and Atlanta I had Tommy's name legally changed to "No, we're not there, yet." I'm not sure exactly how many miles it was, but AC/DC and Nickelback were both worn out by the time we got there. Actually, it was 260 miles each way, but that doesn't sound nearly as interesting, does it?

We got there just before registration time, checked in, and went up to our room. Coming out of the elevator I ran into someone I recognized, but couldn't think of the name. It turned out to be none other than the (in)famous Nick Santiago! Over the three and a half days I got to speak with Nick several times, and even got to meet his mother. I was even more impressed with him in person than I had been by his online posts. He is respectful and mature while still being happy and fun. We then went down and got to meet Rhonda and Mike Gibson of MGM. They are truly fine people and have the wonderful relationship that all couples should hope to have.

We got to bed at a decent hour and Friday morning got up, had breakfast downstairs, and headed to Ft. Benning. The kids got to ride an AMU bus to the fort and back each day. It was actually easier to send the guns and ammo with the kids than to carry it in our own vehicles. The kids broke up into 4 squads and got to spend a half day with each of four sets of instructors. I can't say enough about how impressed I was with the guys in the AMU. On top of the obvious of being incredible shooters, they were also very impressive trainers that were able to demonstrate techniques, explain the value of them, and get them through to the kids so that they actually understood.

Friday morning Tommy's group was with Lee Dimaculangan (yes, I had to look up the spelling) and Daniel Horner. Daniel was a sick as a dog, yet he still gave each of the kids very personal attention. He didn't even feel up to shooting the stages Sunday, but he was there to help the kids. They covered basics in that first half day and really helped Tommy with his form.

Friday afternoon they got to be trained by Travis and KC. I learned as much as the kids did. Travis explained the importance of quick and efficient movement. His example compared split times between shots and how much time you could save just be getting out of and into a box efficiently. Travis also explained running from right to left for a right handed shooter and that you should rotate the gun to be parallel with the ground. That allows it to be pointed downrange and you can still run fast with the gun in that position. The really cool thing was to see so many of the kids that were doing exactly that during the competition they had Sunday. Later, in the pics I'll post, I've got one of Daniel doing just that. So many of the things those guys taught actually sunk in! KC worked with the kids on transitions. Again, what he told them (us) made absolute sense and I was amazed that I hadn't thought it / heard it before. I had always (LOL, "always"... I just started shooting 2 years ago) lined myself up toward the center of a set of targets, kept my body fairly stationary, and moved the gun solely with my arms. He had them turning from the knees to maintain the same waist-up geometry.

Friday night Mike and Joe went out for sushi with Tommy and I. Like all of the kids that attended, Joe was another fine example of a son that any parent would be proud to have.

Saturday Tommmy's group got to learn from Max Michel, but I missed all of that because Rob's class was at the same time. I took a bunch of pictures during Rob's class, because face it, the next best thing to having had the chance to recieve personal instruction from Rob is to have pictures of it! I have to admit, I had no idea how funny he was. I would pay money to see him do stand-up comedy. It was very generous of him to come talk to the kids and to spend time with us parents, too. He had a very early flight the next morning but still took the time to hang out and talk with us after he finished with the kids.

Sunday the kids got to shoot 4 stages. I would have liked to shoot them, but I'm actually glad I didn't. I would not have placed well with those kids! Tommy finished 14th or so out of 24 or so limited division shooters. Afterwards Glock had some things to be given away and the kids each got their picture taken with all 6 of the instructors as well as get them to autograph items.

This was truly one of those "chance of a lifetime" things, not just for Tommy, but for me, too. I really appreciate MGM, the AMU, and all of the other sponsors that helped make this possible. I really hope that we can do this again next year. I know I'm starting to set aside my money for it NOW!

OK, enough rambling...on with the pictures!

The only time Nemo wasn't smiling was when his finger was on the trigger. (Note to self: Keep Nemo smiling)
DSC02817.JPG

Yes, they've grown up
DSC02818.JPG

Daniel took a lot of time working individually with each of his kids
DSC02832.JPG

Tommy got a lot out of Daniel's advice on posture
DSC02852.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Miss Rhonda was also one that always smiled
DSC02862.JPG

Thanks to DPMS for letting us try out their stuff
DSC02885.JPG

I hope this interview makes the TV show
DSC02888.JPG

KC teaching the kids (and those parents listening) transitions
DSC02891.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Practicing transitions
DSC02894.JPG

The guys being goofy :)
DSC02897.JPG

Travis explaining how much more valuable efficient movement is than split times
DSC02909.JPG

Travis demonstrating easy exit to the left
DSC02910.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Travis demonstrating easy exit forward
DSC02911.JPG

Travis demonstrating easy exit right
DSC02912.JPG

Travis demonstraing hard exit right
DSC02913.JPG

Rob making sure Travis is telling them right :)
DSC02914.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Taking notes
DSC02925.JPG

Rob explaining the different portions of trigger movement
DSC02932.JPG

Rob demonstrating Type 1 trigger pulls
DSC02934.JPG

Even the guys that were doing it right got pointers to refine their techniques
DSC02944.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Rob explaining how to read the targets
DSC02949.JPG

Rob *loves* shooting other people's ammo!
DSC02964.JPG

I tried to catch brass in the air on most shooting pics
DSC02971.JPG

More brass in the air
DSC02973.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Rob shooting *yet another* person's ammo
DSC02986.JPG

Look how he balanced the brass on the shoulder of that target
DSC02987.JPG

Finer points of grip details
DSC02994.JPG

Rob demonstrated some things by pulling (or slapping) the trigger while we held the gun
DSC03003.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
He's not smiling, but he is throwing brass
DSC03004.JPG

This guy threw it straight at Rob
DSC03018.JPG

Rob even likes shooting other people's ammo in round guns
DSC03025.JPG

Lining up for the first half of eliminations
DSC03032.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Down to 7 of the first 15
DSC03036.JPG

Final 2 of the first 15
DSC03037.JPG

Winnners of each half got to go against each other
DSC03042.JPG

The winner got to take on Rob
DSC03043.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Even Rob can miss a plate
DSC03044.JPG

SFC Hampton runs a great unit
DSC03045.JPG

Competition on Sunday getting filmed
DSC03061.JPG

This is one of the cool shots I mentioned earlier. Note how Daniel had the gun rotated and his finger off the trigger so he can move quickly left-to-right
DSC03072.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Jacob was very impressive to watch
DSC03081.JPG

Brass leaving Tommy's M&P
DSC03089.JPG

What a cool looking CZ
DSC03098.JPG

All of the kids demonstrated good, safe gun handling. Notice how his finger is well off the trigger during this reload
DSC03126.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm kind of glad I didn't get to / half to shoot those half-ameoba targets :)
DSC03131.JPG

Posing Sunday afternoon
DSC03159.JPG

I think this was the only picture I got of Mike (he moves too fast)
DSC03188.JPG

I also got one of Travis
DSC03191.JPG

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For those that don't know, Rob Leatham is the Ricky Carmichael of pistol shooting. AAMOF, rather than GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) as Ricky is known, Rob is simply called TGO (THE Great One).

All of the AMU guys are the current Bubba Stewarts and Ryan Villapotos.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why wasn't I suprised to see a Nyland acting goofy in one of the pics? :think:

AWESOME! Glad you guys had a great time. :cool:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
That sure looks fun! what was that yellow CZ made out of? it dident look like steel :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very cool Mike. :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like Tommy is growing into quite a young man. Time flys when your having fun huh?? :nod:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
The CZ was powdercoated. There were definitely some cool looking guns there.
I find that holder of the CZ far more striking than the CZ itself

Dang, now I'm worried she might not be legal :yikes:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ol'89r said:
Very cool Mike. :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like Tommy is growing into quite a young man. Time flys when your having fun huh?? :nod:
Yes, he is getting older. Good thing I'm not!

He finished 15th of 23 (the rest were all adults) in a pistol competition this past Saturday, and 7th of 13 (also adults) in a rifle/pistol competition Sunday.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
In the winter Olympics there is an event the Biathalon that combine marksmanship with cross country skiing. There should be a summer sport that combines dirt bikes and guns!!!!

Top Bottom