winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I have a '96 XR 250 which I love for the tight woods trail riding that I do. However, there is always that itch to JUMP the bike, which I am leary of doing. I have built a few jumps and stuff, but like I said, I can't really jump it much. There is a local classified ad selling a '95 YZ 125...."extremely fast, newer style plastics, runs great, new top end, pistons, rings, trade for 4-stroke or $2200." First of all, is this a good deal (referring to the trade). Second, do you guys think it is worth it to completely give up the trail riding that is so much fun for the jumping that I could only do every so often at local tracks (posted in another forum topic looking for local tracks) and around my parents land? I posted earlier about quieting down an mx bike so I don't p!$$ of the neighbors too much, so here is sort of a follow-up question. I understood about the packing and such stuff, but do they make some kind of kit or something that could help me out more..i'm not mechanically inclined in the ways of bikes (I just got into them about 5 months ago) So what are your thoughts? Thanks for any help at all! *Winter Rules*

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I have a 1991 XR250R and I am also hesitant about jumping it, As for riding tight trails,You can ride tight trails with a YZ125 if you know how to ride it right, Alot of clutching will be involved on the YZ than the XR, On XR's you most of the time just have to work the clutch but on the YZ you'll have to slip it to keep the engine singing, and you can't relax on the 125 like you can on your XR because it will throw you off. Good Luck

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ethel get the shotgun - the neighbor kid is going crazy on that new dirt bike he has only had for five months, he just cleared the chicken coop and he is headed for the barn!!.
Sheeze you guys learn fast now adays.. It must be something in the air cause I see those little 8 year olds at Arena Cross clearing doubles on 65 Kaws now!! Man!
That YZ125 was bike of the year for a long time!! They are a spectacular example of true quality and workmanship!! The problem is without seeing, riding ect... it is almost impossible to say what is a good deal and what isnt. I would check the mono and forks for oil leaks (those things were air mongers - they seemed to like the altituded a lot!!) and people used them for that! I would also have someone ride the bike toward me and I would eye ball the line up between the front tire and rear (bike coming straight at you - front tire should be lined up with the rear - if it doesnt someone cased it real good!). Motor repairs are reasonable on those older Yammers and there are lots of parts inthe salvage yards now!!
Trade for the xr if they are in simular condition would be a good deal!! I know I would have a LOT more fun on the YZ - and I WOULD woods ride it!! Course thats why they call me WOODSY>>>
Woodsy

SICC_AIR

Jul 23, 2001
Im kinda is the same situation you are but i started with a yz125.
They are good bikes just lack low end which will kill you trial riding

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
winter_rule's,
I hve a 125 that I ride. Most of it in woods. It's alot of work with all the shifting to keep the power on those steep root strewn hills. But the upside is you learn quick and it turns out to be alot of fun when you are in the tight stuff then all of a sudden it openes up and there are jumps to hit.

In the end the choice is yours ,I like my little Zinger in the woods, granted it could be better like a 250 because I have all but out grown it ;) or maybe a KDX they are great for both conditions :cool:

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
First, thanks a lot for the help guys! I think I am going to try to save up for an older 125 to mess around on. What does nuked mean? *Winter Rules*

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Personally I think a KDX might be a good crossover bike for you, lively 2 stroke power, low end torque for the nasty stuff, and the fork and shock can be made to work for jumps. If you have never ridden a 125 2 stroke before, you may be surprised just how much concentration they take to be ridden effectively whether your in the woods or not. As it was said earlier, it isnt a bike you can relax on like the XR, you either have it on the pipe making power, (lots of it) or your not. A 250 is much more forgiving in that aspect.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
NUKED means the poster was being an idiot.

Based upon the riding I have done in the east (SW Pa) I'd go with a KDX for the best compromise. It should have plenty of power compared to wither the XR250 or YZ125 and the suspension can be upgraded pretty easily if you decide to join the Metal Mulisha.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom