K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Thanks to Dazza & Canyncarver for the reports on the XR 400 spring swap. I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my 220. I would feel more comfoftable about the swap if I knew what you liked about them, Better handeling or just better ride? I ride very tight woods, 2nd & 3rd gear type stuff, weight 178 lbs. How would these springs affect the handeling for me? Did you try the Eibach .40 springs in the 511mm length?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mine were eibachs..but @ 470mm. One of the eibach .40s collapsed in 2 weeks, so I wasn't too interested in 'trying' another set.

If you know dazza and I like 'em, then you've already read what we've said/think about 'em, too....so I'm not sure what you're after.

There was a considerable difference between the eibach .40s and the honda .40s. I don't know if it would be the same diff if the lengths matched.

The honda springs are much more forgiving of small junk. I don't even feel little pebbles and such. I felt every little whatever with the eibachs.

Much better 'feel' altogether. AND...they've changed in length not a whit in a year.

I didn't have the eibachs in long enough to say they were better or worse handling than the hondas. If the hondas are a better ride...how is that at all different from better handling?

I haven't tried a gazillion different types of springs. I HAVE tried four. The hondas are better hands down.

imo

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm really after is trying to compare your situation to mine. So I can make a judgement call about the springs for me. I'm all for the smoothest ride over trail junk. But I am even more interested in being able to miss the next tree. I would hate to lose the cornering ability of the bike to gain a smoother ride.I'm not sure how the two are related.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
For what it's worth; when I sent my forks to MX Tech last spring, (and they were swamped with orders), the reply I got about Honda springs was that the difference was minimal at best, and that only pro level riders would even notice. I also was misled as to when forks would realy ship back, and, after repeated phone calls, never did get back my original springs.

Bike does handle well, but considering Honda's overall quality, and other folks successes, I would use the Honda springs.

I don't recall anyone ever saying anything bad about them; that in itself is pretty strong!

Top Bottom