xr 70 won't run?

Rus01

Jul 11, 2006
my xr 70 1981 won't run . it has spark and it is getting fuel. i cleand the carb and no difference,air filter is clean. I tryed doing a compression test on it but my tester dosn't fit the spark plug hole so i just stuck my thumb over the the hole and cranked it over with my hand. I can almost hold back all the compression with my thumb , just alittle sqeek of air passes by my thumb. is this may be the problem? (not enough compression?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
For starters, there was no XR 70 in 1981. If it is actually a 1981, then it is more likely an XR 80, or you got the year off by a long shot if it is an XR 70.

From there, we need more information. Low compression could be the cause, but you'd need a gauge reading to confirm it. It could be a stuck valve, bad spark plug, something mistimed, or a number of other issues. Was the bike running before this happened, or did you do something to it and then have it not want to run. Without more info, it's tough to give you any other suggestions as to where to look to solve your issues.

Rus01

Jul 11, 2006
sorry my mistake , it is a xr 80 and yes it was running fine.Me and my 4 year old were riding it and all of a sudden it started back firing and losing power then it died and will not start again?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…