xr runs but idles high n wont restart w/o throttle

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
its an xr80 but i figure it wont get any replies in the mini fourm so ill put it here. it will idle but only at a high rpm, if i turn it down it will die. the throttle responce is ok at best and is best w/ the air screw all the way in. it has the stock jetting (pilot is 35). i adjusted the valves and it got better but its not perfect yet. it wont restart w/o giving it some gas as u kick or it will start and go for a few seconds at a low rpm then die. i suspect an air leak but where could it be? could the air boot beeing loose where it connects to the air box cause an air leak? it is loose(will go up and down) when not connected to the carb. the gasket inbetween the bowl and carb body is also missing and it leaks some gas. what could i make that gasket out of?

minifig-phil

Spammer
Apr 6, 2002
Sounds very lean.
Take the carb apart and really check closely to see if the pilot circuit is pluged. Use compressed air to blow it through. These lil' XR carbs are very sensitive to dirt.

If your sure the carb is perfectly clean then check the points and condensor if it's a non CDI model 1992 and older

www.trickracing.com

minifig-phil

Spammer
Apr 6, 2002
OK I can't edit my posts!!

The float bowl uses a o ring gasket it should only be a couble of dollars at your local Honda dealer.

First check the bolts to make sure there tight then spray some contact cleaner around the intake while the bike is running at a constant idle (as low as you can) and if the revs pick up when you spray the contact cleaner you have an air leak.

If not clean the carb and get the o ring

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
well i sealed the carb, put an o ring on the intake and adjusted the points and it runs great. but the thing is it dosnt seem to idle as low as id like. it wont restart w/o throttle unless the idle is some what high(not very high but it dosnt seem to idle like my cousins xr70 or my neighbors ttr90) and the air screw is all the way in. this is leading me to believe he pilot is a step lean? the points and valves are to spec also. any imput?

Top Bottom