clmartin0721

Oct 13, 2006
Hello all,

A question for all of you XRperts out there. I was just given a 1985 XR250R in decent, running shape. I want to use the bike as a skills builder / practice bike for motocross (vintage and senior level...not the insane x-games kind...;). I have access to a full professional shop, with all needed tools and welding equipment. I wanted to break down what I am planning to do, and let you guys tell me where I may be going wrong.

1. I am going to concentrate on suspension and braking, and will do a total stock engine rebuild (including bottom end) with new carbs, K&N filters, eliminate the snorkel and airbox, re-jet, rebuild the existing aftermarket pipe, clean up the ports- chamber-and exhaust flange to pipe interface, new race clutch, and mild cam with new valve springs, guides / seals. So that's it for the engine.

2. I have a complete CR250 front and rear end (2002) with shock, swingarm...the works. I was going to install the complete front end, and the rear wheel, swingarm, linkage, shock, and brake system.

3. I will have the forks and shock re-sprung and valved by race-tech for my weight and level (210 / novice). Is this necessary, or would the stock valving be OK for now?

4. I would remove all un-necessary lighting and electrical components.

So a basically stock engine with improved breathing and CR250 suspension and brakes. Does this sound workable....I already have all of the parts, and we can do the required fabrication (fork stem pressing and welding, frame mods) here in-house. Has anyone else done anything like this?

I want to thank you all in advance for your time and assistance....I will probably start a simple website up which will outline all of the work (with photos).

Craig

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
this sounds like an awesome project, i would love it if you would give me the address to your website when its up and running. yes if you are doing some jumping with it i would for sure get the suspension set up for your riding style and weight. my brother has a 2001 XR250 and he wants to put CR250 forks on his if you ever come accross some extras please let me know, and let me know how well yours work. should be a fun project. good luck.

Top Bottom