Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Finally got a chance to ride my XR650R that I bought two months ago. Got it registered and finally took it out on the street... I love it! Can't wait to uncork it and see what increase in power and performance I get.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Congratulations on the new bike. You plan on taking it off-road at all?

I think you should read the first two threads in the "General and Off-Topic" section called 'are we killing our sport' and 'Do i need a louder more powerful pipe'. Only because of your last statement about uncorking it. An XR650 with an open exhaust on it would be really obnoxious and you probably wouldn't notice much of a power gain. Most people say they do but i think its more of a psychological thing that they want to feel it after dropping all that money on a new exhaust. Good luck with it and have fun. Watch out for those cars, they definitely aren't looking out for you.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
"Uncorking" in reference to the XR650R refers to several mods, re-jetting the ridiculously lean stock carb, replacing the restricted carb to cylinder sleeve, and modifying the airbox to increase flow, and yes, re-working or replacing the stock exhaust. It's not about noise, it's about performance. The modified exhaust is a little louder than stock, but not nearly as loud as some of the race pipes out there. I have a XR650R and it is uncorked and still not too obnoxious with a Big Gun exhaust on it.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Hmm, I just figured all four-strokes with exhausts were loud and annoying. At least everyone i've heard anyways. I also didn't realize the carb and airbox needed work. That sounds like a good idea. I never understood why manufactures detune stuff before selling, cars included. Have fun with it. It sounds like a fun bike. I'd love to have one around here with all this traffic. It'd be a lot easier to get around.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Deadohiosky39 said:
I never understood why manufactures detune stuff before selling, cars included.

Several reasons:

1) So it will survive when a speed freak holds it at WOT.
2) So that it will meet EPA requirements
3) So it will pass sound requirements
4) So that it will spend more time on the road than in the shop.
5) So it can run low octane gasoline

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom