Dgaspar

Sep 26, 2007
I am exerpriencing a very frustrating problem. My son bought a 1988 Yamaha DT200 last month. The bike seemed to work fine at first rides well and has good acceleration. It is a two stroke oil injected with YPVS.

When the bike starts it starts on the first kick and runs well. However at any random moment ( usually when you leave it for a while) when you try to start the bike it sputters, there is no or very little throttle response at all and then it quits after a backfire. Leave the bike for 2 or three hours come back to it do nothing different and it starts fine. Furthermore when riding for more that 40 mins or so it will start to run like it does as mentioned above ( sputters and then quits).

Here is what we have done so far. Carburetor has been rebuilt ( it was leaking fuel badly at times), new needle valve, new float, gaskets. The wiring and electrical has been checked. The horn doesn't work but that was troubleshooted to a bad pushbutton switch. The ignition system has been checked. Good fat blue spark every time. The timing, source and secondary coils all are within specs. New fuel line, new oil lines, fuel is new and flows well into the carb, petcock works fine, tank is in good shape and fuel is clean. I checked the battery and it is good. Charging system seems to work and the lights, signals etc all work fine. The ignition switch seems to work fine. When you turn the ignition switch on you can seem the oil level light disappear after a few seconds which is normal and the YPVS turns on it runs for a while until you start the bike. The specified compression for this bike is 116 PSI and this bike measure 110 PSI so its pretty close.

Several times I have pulled the plug after attempting to start the bike and the plug is wet with some carbon oil so it must be getting something into the piston chamber. Cleaning the or putting a new plug in doesn't help.

You can tinker with this thing then it mysteriously starts and runs fine for a while but like a demon always come back to haunt us.

Any have any experience with this bike? Is it the YEIS?? The only thing I haven't checked. :(

Dgaspar

Sep 26, 2007
May have found the answer need CDI part number!

Hi folks, Need your help here. Can anyone tell me what the CDI part number is for a 1988 Yamaha DT200?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It sounds like you are experincing reed problems. I don't think there is an aftermarket reed cage for that bike so OEM is likely you only option. Another thing to consider is blocking off the oil injection and premix your fuel. It is possible that the injector is failing and loading the cylinder up with oil as it gets warm.
The Yamaha blaster is basicly the same engine. There may be reeds for the blaster that will work on the DT200. The old air cooled DT engines are pretty solid overall and did not change much if any at all for 15 years.
As for the CDI, the Blaster part may be the same.
Here is the 1988 Blaster CDI part # 3FL-85540-00-00 C.D.I. UNIT ASSEMBLY .

Dgaspar

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for your help. Last night I tried to start it again without luck. I tried again while tapping the CDI and it started right away. I also noticed it ran smoother with no knocks or pings. So I know suspect it is the CDI. Yamaha was able to get me the part number which is 37F85540M100 but they are $255 in change. Yikes anybody know where I can get one cheaper?!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom