Yamaha Race Of Champioins (Glen Helen)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Did anybody see this last night on speedvision?
All I can say is WOW. What a great race. They followed 3 ? short races of 10-15 some-odd old hero dudes (sorry, no dudesses) on 3 Yamaha bikes--YZ125,250F,426F--something like that. Each rider had to rotate bikes each race, and all bikes were present in each race. That means you've got guys like Holley, Glover, Liechen, Moates, Barnett, etc. going balls-out around Glen Helen on all these bikes every time. Unreal. It was just like the old days. Holley was still up to all his old tricks, all their styles were easily recognizable, and most of all--these guys were fast as ....! Liechen looked like he put on about 50 pounds, but that guy can still KILL on a 125. The only bike that beat him when he was on a 125 was a 426F-mounted Glover. :scream: Moates was the holeshot king, particularly on the 4 strokes. I won't tell you who won, in case you watch it. Just take my word for it--if you like to see competition, this race was easily as good as Delmont. Check it out.

And, by the way, Bob Hannah announced the race and did commentary. :)

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I saw it a couple of nights ago and even my wife thought the show was better than standard ESPN coverage of the nationals. I missed the first moto, anyone know if there is going to be a re-air date.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've seen it a couple of times so my guess is it'll be on again. Watching the 125 blow by the 426's makes me feel worse about my last race. I was using the excuse that I was on a 125 and everyone else was on 250's and 426's:(
Now I have to come up with a new excuse.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
YROC

That was definately one of the most entertaining races I've seen aired to date. Great commentary, great racing, old rivalries brought back to life. It allowed me to actually see the legends I've only read about. Now I'll be able to put a face & personality to these guys, which will make their careers seem much more "real" and validated in my ignorant sub-30 head.

Come on Yamaha & Speedvision, give us more!!!:)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I for one, think Holley, Brock & Liechen could still kick some major ass today. Holley on anything, Brock like a LaRocco or something (he's still as fit as a 14 year-old), and Liechen could STILL kick most people's tails off on a 125.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Thought I would bring this back since the 2002 YROC race was on last night. It was incredible! Those guys are the true heros of the sport. To see a guy on a 125 stay right on top of a 426 is amazing! It was also the first telivised race that I have personally seen that had to be red flagged after the start. Kudos to Yamaha for letting these legends shine again.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i was mad,saw it before too, and hannah didn't ride. he's my all time fav.oh well, great racing tho. i guess yroc is gonna let other past racers in now. that'll make for some real fun.i like the concept of riding what you want when, i thought it was wild seeing a 125 racing against a 426.:p

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
YROC

also missed first of 4 motos... but hellish fun to see the legends; I would love to see a Roger D in such a race!
Is this the same track where Billywho ran with other legends but with the whoops and big jumps ?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Anybody have any clue as to whether this will be rebroadcast? I gots ta know, man! :scream:

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I think it was on again late last night but I don't know when else. I was also bummed about Bob Hannah being behind the mic and not on the bike! I guess there comes a day when you just don't feel like competing. He sounded a lot like a nancy boy though. He kept talking about how he would had to be out there getting whacked by dirt clods. If he was out there, he would not have to worry about it. He would be out front!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
predator, they re-run it once in a while. problem with speed vision,at least on my dish, is they'll list one thing as showing and show another. yeh,hanna seemed kinda....i don't know, but, i don't know if scared(i doubt) or just disinnterested. jeeze, i can hardly keep my bike upright for one lap at the local track, but had i been at yroc, and allowed to race....you would not have been able to keep me off the track. just to line up next to those guys at the gate.wow. maybe with the yroc expanded venue, decoster might be there next time....YEH!

Top Bottom