High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Those of you that have missed racing at Gordon MX Park have been missing some great racing. They have a well designed track that is both safe and challenging. The prep work is the best that I have seen...6 to 12" of fluffy dirt watered just enough to keep the dust down. I've got to say that the best part is the staff, though. All of them are very friendly, helpful, and genuinely like what they're doing. It is so cool to see people who love what they're doing doing it so well. If you haven't made it, yet, it's not too late. They have two more races in this series... 8/22 and 9/5. There is some talk about the possibility of a winter series, too.

http://www.georgiamxbuilders.com/Racing.html

Oh yeah...military gets in free at the 9/5 race!

I had 3 of the boys racing last night. Danny rode his new YZF450 in the MX Beginner class and his 05 CRF250 in the MX Lites Beginner. He didn't fare as well as last time when he won his first moto (ever), but he stayed on 2 wheels and had fun.

Tommy (11) rode his KX85 in the 85 Beginner class and only went down once (he had to prove he was mine). He also rode his CRF70 in the Trail bike class.

Oh yeah...another cool thing about Gordon Park, they have a trail bike and a pit bike class. It is great for those kids who can't afford a full-blown race bike or that just want to get out there for another class and have fun.

Last night was the first time that Chris (15) had ever raced. He's been riding around the house for a couple years, but had never raced before. He rode Danny's CRF250 in the Youth 12-15 class. He would have done better in the MX Lites Beginner class, but Danny was already riding in that one. Chris also rode the CRF150F in the trail bike class. He really had to work for it, but he won both motos for a win in hist first ever race! It took me 10 years before I ever won a race and last weekend Danny finally won a moto after 10 years and Chris goes out and wins his first race!

We got there a little earlier this time so I had a few minutes to stop and chat with Dennis, Hugo, and their families. Those are some serious riders....rode Friday, raced Saturday, and are doing an enduro today. I'll try to get there earlier next time so I can park by them.

This was Hugo's second race ever and right from the beginning it was clear that he was faster than me but that he was also patient and wasn't going to do anything risky to pass me. In typical Gomer style I got a good holeshot then proceeded to work my way backwards. Hugo was pushing me and about halfway through the second lap I made the mistake of trying to double into the rythm section in 1st gear and did a moon shot. I bailed off of Danny's (then-almost-new) YZF450 and proceeded to do my best impression of a tumbleweed. After I came to a stop I realized that something was wrong with my ring finger on my left hand. I got the bike up and running and putted around to the finish line. I pulled off the side to remove my glove and survey the damage. I had never dislocated a finger before but it looked pretty obvious that that was what was wrong. Rather than wait around for the leader to take the checkered flag, I crossed on the white and went back to the truck.

BTW, again very impressed. I didn't take the checkered flag and got a DNF, exactly as it should have been. I have been many places that wouldn't have scored that correctly.

I got back to the truck and since I wasn't sure, I decided to take a picture of my finger before trying to reset it...

finger1.jpg

I pulled it out and down and it went back into place easily. I was surprised that it hurt as little as it did. I should have tried harder to take my ring off right then because I ended up having to cut it off with bolt cutters and pliers when I got home. It looks better now that it is straight, though it doesn't want to bend...

finger3.jpg

I tried alternating ice and elevation when the kids weren't on the track (tough to do when were racing 7 classes among the 4 of us). By the time the 2nd Vet B/C moto rolled around I decided to just go out and cruise around to try to salvage some series points. That decision lasted right up until the gate dropped! :) Another good start with Hugo dogging me the whole way. At one point he went down in a turn and I thought I had some breathing room. He kept it running, though, and within half a lap was right back behind me going for the pass. When he ducked inside I put my toe in his front spokes....just kidding, he hit some softer stuff than he expected on the inside and I was able to barely stay in front of him. He pushed me all of the way to the checkered flag. I was looking around hoping that the leader from the first gate drop was going to lap us so I'd be saved a lap but it didn't happen. That was some of the most fun racing I've done in years!

I'm looking forward to the swelling going down and making it back out there in 2 weeks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
ARRRRRGHHHH that hurts viewing!!!! Yet another good reason for a ring tattoo! Very good story, and keep an eye and a bike under that first time winner! Sure as I would have left the line with that broke finger, I would have fell directly breaking it again! Nice job finishing Gomer!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah that looks a little bit out of place Gomer. Did you say "Hey pull my finder" when you popped it back in?

Top Bottom