SarahL99

Dec 18, 2001
I'm in the process of purchasing a 35' 5th wheel Patio Hauler. For those unfamiliar with them, the living quarters is 24' long with a 15' slide out and a separate 10'6 deep patio or toy compartment on the back with a drive on ramp door.

This sucker is big but really nice and I'm wondering who is familar with them, like what are some pros and cons? How convenient are they to travel from race to race or take weekend vacations? Any problems with the slide out motors? Fill me in on anything you know about them. Thank you!

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
I spent alot of time looking at toy haulers and finally made the decision to buy a Sportsman Sportster by K-Z RV inc. I looked at the Paito hauler also the floorplanis very close to the sportster I have. Below are the options I got and some of the things I have done so far.
Exterior Shower, Water Filter, Spare Tire,Spare Tire carrier under cargo area, Deluxe Package I, Fiberglass Exterior w/End Caps (adds 10% to overall unit weight), 8 Tie down rings in floor, Anti-Skid Treadplate on door, Carefree Add-A-Wall, Stabilizer Jacks, Wired for generator, Threshold Ramp,Shocks
Stove Cover, Spare Tire Carrier, Outside Cooktop, Gas/Electric DSI 6 Gal. Water Heater, Extra 55 gal. fresh water tank optional Water Capacity 110 gal, Assist Grab Handle, Diamond Plate on floor (also 4' on all the walls)
Ramp Extension, Power Jack, Second Entry Door in cargo area

ADDED BY ME SO FAR
Air compressor under front, plummed to cargo area, gas heater for the cargo area, plummed from 30 gallon tanks, Halogen backup lamps, Power washer,
Dish Antenna, Cell phone system, mods to plumming for outside water connect and power washer connections can run from either 55 gallon tank or both, toolbox installed in cargo area

Take a look at their WEB site at http://www.kz-rv.com look under the link to sportsters. I got the 35 model it is 36'7" long and has a slide out on the side. For the money I feel this is the best unit. I took a couple of pictures when I picked it uo, check it out at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=643762&uid=466218 Mine has the below options
I am planning to put some new pictures up this week. Good luck, I am sure whatever you get you will be happy, the toy box 5th wheels are great, they pull like a dream compared to a tow behinh trailer. What kind of truck do you plan to pull it with, these thigs can be heavy?

Some hints
Make sure you have a good tow truck, these babys are heavy. Mine is almost 9,000 dry, loaded with 110 gallons of water, bikes and everything else I would guess it is near 11,000 to 12,000 lbs.
If the Paito hauler is like mine it has a lot of length from the back wheels to the end of the unit, if it is kinda bad to drag.
I have a Chevy 3500 Duramax diesel truck, the top of the bed rails is 57". I had to make sure I had adjustment on the unit to raise it up to clear the bed rails. I have 8" and at times I don't think I could make it with 6" or 7" when I go to some tracks with bad entrances.
Get a 4 way hitch with a side to side lock out.
Get the DSI water heater

If you have any questions I will be glad to help. Good luck, you will love it1

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Sarah - I have '00 Patio Hauler 351F. Works great so far. Only problem is it is very long. I got into a bit of a bind this weekend at the Wild Piglet Enduro at Clear Creek. Just have to check things out BEFORE you pull the trailer into a tight area. With these trailers we are pretty much stuck in the open staging areas - not the smaller, tighter, nicer campgrounds.

I tow with a '00 Dodge 2500 4wd with the Cummins/6spd.

Do a search on my user name and you'll find more info about trailers - there have been a couple of good threads.

Brian

Top Bottom