Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
I've narrowed the bikes down to two (totally different type of bikes) a yz-125 and a kdx-220, both will be used. The type of riding I will be doing is mostly on (dirt, gravel) road around my house. All my friends recommend a 125 since they have them even though they dont have much experience with offroad bikes and arent that smart... I'll be spending most of my time on compacted dirt roads that wind for miles around my house racing with my friends or riding on them with my dad on his vintage bikes. I'll go to the track every once in awhile but wont do anything crazy. Probably the most offroad would be going up the fairly rocky gravel road and sometimes thick grass to get to the gravel pits dirt roads. to make it simple:

riding at:
Gravel pit(beautiful light sandy dirt that roosters like hell)
Friends handmade-trails
Farm roads
Track...

My whole post might seem bias to the 125 because it just doesnt seem like i could go wrong with it, and my friends all have 125's i've got experience on. I'm just wondering of the kdx which is a great bike would suit me better. I'd be getting an 03 yz-125 or probably an older 00-01 kdx by the way. If you've got any questions please ask..maybe i'm taking my decision about over a dirtbike too serioulsy judging by my constant posts :\

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
oh, i'm also leaning towards the 125 because my dad has a 250 2 stroke trail bike and i'm looking to try something different. (well it may not be anything like the kdx since its 24 years old and a spanish bike lol)

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Why an older kdx but an 03 125? Why the 220 and not the 200? I've heard that the 200 revs better. The kdx would be a whole new world compared to a 24 yr old bike. Plus out where you ride that headlight would be cool!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I would actually take the 200 over the 220. Its cheaper than the YZ125 anyway, and the 200 not only revs better, but is also faster than the 220.

GO WITH THE KDX. Trust me. All of the types or riding you describe is perfect for the KDX. If there is one thing I can never understand, its idiots on 125s that don't have the slightest clue what they are doing and just dont have any fun, compared to as they would on something more tame like a KDX.

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
you guys are great help i'm looking more even more into the kdx now.
by the way, could i keep up with my friends on their stupid little 125's on the trails :)? I know i'll be more comfortable at least

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by trout
the kdx smokes in the trails. Ask anyone that has one.

I have a KDX 200. I agree. Extremely forgiving in tight trails. Plenty of oooomf to get you up those hills and across rivers.

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
Thats a good question i have also wondered that my self. Heres my basic thinking, 125's- geared more for tracks not long drag races, only 125cc motor, Probably similar horse to a good running kdx. I think the yz will pull on the start but then once you in the 40 mph range the kdx will start to take over due to its 200cc motor and wider gearing range.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
The only reason you should go with the YZ over the KDX is if you think you will be getting into strictly MX track riding. The KDX outperforms the 125 in every other aspect. I've had both and both are excellent bikes, but the KDX really shines on the trails. Plus, the KDX is cheaper and requires less maintenance. You would be shifting a 125 all day long on the tight trails.

Top Bottom