nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
i just bought a 03 yz125 brand new yesterday and it will not idol at all maybe for 2 seconds if im lucky. my friend told you to adjust a certain screw on the carb should i do this ?? help please

raceready99

May 5, 2003
adjust your ideal screw. you will find into on the side of the carb. fire the bike up and turn the screw out and it will ideal higher. good luck!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've never done a search for jetting procedures here but I'm sure that it's a topic that's been covered.

In order to make everything spot on, you may need to rejet.

There are two screws on the carb. The idle speed screw and the idle mixture screw. They both work in conjunction with each other.

It would be a great investment to get a factory repair manual.

125fmx'er

Jul 3, 2003
Sorry for butting in, but my 03 does the same thing.. After I take the choke off it will die. When I keep on the throttle it is fine, but once I let off the throttle it dies.

kyle

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Eric Gorr's Carb Tuning Article

READ THE WHOLE THING! Seriously, all you could need to know is right in there. A do a search too, we've covered 2 strokes idling quite a bit, search in the Basic Maintenence area, I know we had quite a post going about it. And for the record, my '01 YZ idles nice and slow, and steady.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
There is an idle and an air screw on the side of the YZ carb. The idle screw has a small locknut around it and takes a phillips head for the screw itself. Loosen the locknut and turn the idle screw out (counter-clockwise). Also, you might need to turn your air screw out. The air screw is a brass flat headded screwdriver screw. It's typical to run your air screw 1 1/2-3 turns out. If you need to go more/less to make the bike idle right, then you need a different pilot jet. Do NOT adjust the Billy Idol screw or your bike will immediately start sounding like old 80's music when revved. Good luck! :cool:

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
Hey thx guys i just had to screw in my idol screw on the carb it idols really nice now i love the bike how often should i replace the transmission oil ? i herd every 3 races but that seems really soon.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Tranny oil replacement is definatly dependent upon the rider. If your pretty causal, ie not a clutch artist out of every cornor, you can go for a bunch of rides on the tranny fluid. However, if your a hard charger, ie Nikki ;) your going to deteriorate the fluid much quicker. I started this season with fresh oil, and changed it after maybe 4 hours... it was too soon for mine... the oil still looked brand new. It really does depend on the rider.

breric

Sep 25, 2007
i know this thread is pretty old, but im curious as to how your motor ran after your carb adjustments? im new to 2 stroke and ive got a '02 kx250, that will only idol for like 5 sec max... the 2 screws on the carb i think are supposed to be corresponding somehow i think, and i heard too that your oil/gas ratio in your fuel has a factor in jetting as well? i don't know. any information regarding the idle from your experience would be appreciated, thanks

Top Bottom