julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Latest project,

-93 yz250 front end (got it for free, in very good condition)
-95 yz250 triples, from ebay (the 93yz upper triple didn't work out so well, the 95 is a better fit)
-New KDX stem bearings

The forks are not some huge improvement, not so much as using late model KX forks or something I'm sure, but they are 43mm cartridge style KYB's with rebound/comp adjusters. So there is some benefit there, and they were in much better shape than my 94 41mm USD's. Besides, how can you beat free? I had it out for some testing yesterday, and I was very very happy with the results. Low speed damping is still very plush, but they don't bottom out on the larger stuff. Front end feels tighter all around, and the bikes handling seems much improved.

IMAGE_00003.jpg

IMAGE_00006-1.jpg

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
I could not trip across any juicy YZ forks but I did manage to replace the stock .30's with the .42 Fredette springs .. Huge improvement to me compared to the old "screen door springs"

KDX-BLK-2007Medium.jpg

KDX-BLK-2008Medium.jpg

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'll get better pics if I can ever turn up the cam. Those are cellphone shots. I like Kawahama btw....

Longshore,

I love the yellow and black on your bike. The rims look SWEET, and the yellow background and KDX graphics look great too! I'm thinking I'll get a black number plate, and I have a black kx500 rear fender on the way. I need shrouds badly, but for the price there's always something more pressing that is needed...

The YZ forks seem great. They aren't leaking, and the bushings looked decent when I had them apart. Figured I'd give them a shot as they were before I put any money real money in them. I can't imagine changing much at this point other than clicker settings. I'm not sure what weight springs are in there, but they seem to do quite well for my whole 150lbs.

We got the forks on a roller than was thrown in with a yz125 my buddy bought. The roller was in great condition all around. Swingarm bearings, shock, forks, and wheels all looked pristine. It was missing the engine and a few other bits that had already been robbed. It's been reduced to nothing but a frame now. We used parts from it on the 125, my buddies 89 yz250 (awesome bike!), and my um.. kawahama?

Anyone know what stock spring rates were in a 1993 yz250??

J.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
I appreciate the Kudos on the old E....

I used Mercury Quicksilver Phantom Black Spray Paint (gloss) and a lot of patience and painters masking tape to get the wheels right.

(I kept it off of the tires/spokes/rim locks/air stems)

I had recently repainted the foot on my Merc outboard and thought it might work out well.(it's tough paint too)

The yellow KDX stickers that are on the tank I cut by making a stencil/pattern first and then using a small see through drafting triangle with a razor on top of an old phonebook for backing to get the exact cuts.

I just used the same material I had left over after I cut out the yellow number plates.

Kawahama sounds good to me too..........

Last edited:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
juliend, how well did the bearings mount? Did you use the KDX stem? Was the stem height correct? It looks good from a cell phone pic. :-)

longshore, thanks for the ride report!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I used the KDX stem and bearings. The lower YZ triple had to be bored to accept the KDX stem, and I made a small bushing for the upper yz triple as the diameter there was a bit large there. Not much difference from conversions to KX forks, other than boring the lower triple a touch. Stem height worked out close. Could use a couple more MM but everything is buttoned up tight and I don't foresee any long term issues. I think the top triple is a few MM thicker than the KDX top triple. The lower triples looked very close.

I had to fab a steering stop to prevent the top triple smacking the tank, no big deal there. Other than that, pretty straight forward. Well worth it too, I think!

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
First real ride today with the new front end. Brown Mtn, NC. Great riding today. I feel like I have a new bike! I can't believe the difference. It soaks up the small stuff just as well, but I can no longer bottom out the front end. It launches so much better off of jumps, flies straighter, lands more solid. These are dated forks too...

Incredible improvement. I'm all geeked up about it. :)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
:cool: i'm glad you are happy with it ..its been nice weather to ride the past few day here on the EC :bang: I just missed a ride a durhamtown I have a metalica concert tonight so I did not go ..plus kdx is down still

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
My buddy swapped me his 200EXC for a bit (I love that bike, except the suspension!), and when we traded back, he said he hated me because my bike was perfect. LOL

It really is SO much easier to ride. I had to play with the rear clickers to stiffen up the rear to be more balanced with the new firmer front. I think I have it damn near dead on for me. I've never felt so glued to the trail!

On a side note, I saw a gorgeous 93 or 94 200 out there yesterday. Yellow backgrounds and the ceet apex graphics kit. Looked great!

Hope you're successful getting yours back together, and have fun @ the show!!!

Top Bottom