Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
I am replacing the oil seal on my 00 YZ250 front fork. I have torn the fork down and ready to put it back together. The problem is there is a metal sleeve that is driven in the outer tube that I guess HAS to come out. The book doesn't say it does but does say it has to be driven back in during the re-reassembly. The Inner fork has a collar on it that is to wide to go through that sleeve so just sliding the forks back together is not an option although they slid apart just fine :| Anyone have to do this and if so what tools do you need to get that sleeve out. Or is there a trick to getting the 2 halfs back together w/out pulling that sleeve? Help please....else going to have to go to the shop and ask them to put the 2 parts back together....and get the 3rd degree on NOT reading the part in the book that says this SHOULD be done by an authorized repair tech :bang:

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
I don't have a fork seal driver but have read that people just use a peice of PVC pipe so that was what I was going to do. Havn't gotten to the point in which I need that though. Need something to pull like a slide hammer puller. But can't find anyone around that carries them. Only the screw type pullers.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
is the sleeve you are talking about the bushing? teflon coated on the inside? if so it gets pressed into place when you knock the seal in - There should be the bushing, a large spacer and then the oil seal - and they all get knocked into place together - IF its that piece it should have come out when you separated the inner and outer legs when you pulled the seal out....which leads to my question - how exactly did you pull the old oil seal out?

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
Yea that is the one. I followed the books instuctions which basically said compress the shock and pull it apart until the 2 seperate. And they did seperate but the one bushing/sleeve did not come out.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
Did you pull the legs apart - meaning the inner and outer apart? or just pull enough to pop the seal out?

it might simply be frozen in place - if its the bushing, you should see teflon on the inside - if its not worn, just put her back together (coat it w/ a little fork oil first).

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
Pulled the 2 apart. Had to to replace the seal. Or atleast that is what the book said. It is the bushsing you can see the teflon coating.

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
The only problem is you can't get the inner fork back into the outer fork with it in place. I gave up and took it to a shop. Supposed to take my wife out for her first trail ridding experience this weekend (till now she has only ridden street) and don't want to mess that up because I don't have my bike put back together. I'm learning. I have allways done most of my own work on cars/bikes. I guess shocks should not fall under the MOST category for me

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I did the seals on my 00 YZ250 and didn't have any problem pulling the tubes apart. If I remember correctly

Loosen the top cap
Remove the top cap from the inner thin cartridge
Pour the oil out
Pull the dust seal down
Use a small screw driver to pull out the retaining clip holding the seal in
Slap the tubes apart.

It wasn' too difficult. I'm not sure what part is still in there..

Top Bottom