rookie rider

Feb 3, 2009
Hi guys,
I have a '90 YZ250 which I want to XC race this year, bought it pretty cheap...
it has no spark, and i THINK the cdi is at fault, and am just wondering, will any yz cdi fit it, or does it have to be off a 1990 bike? Also, the bike has no kill switch - are they easy to wire up?
Lastly, are there any issues around these bikes having no spark - are cdi's prone to breaking down? I am itching to go out and test the bike, so all help greatfully accepted!!!

Thanks ppl!! :bang:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
my first thought is that someone took off the kill switch and hooked its two leads together shorting out the spark to ground. get a manual and follow the schematic to make sure all wires are hooked up properly leaving the two wires to the kill switch unhooked. if you have spark just buy a kill switch and hook it up properly.

second thoughht is to get a manual and a multimeter and start checking the resistance of various components as followed in the manual's troubleshooting guide.

it will be cheaper to buy the manual and a multimeter than it would be to take a wild guess and be wrong

as for parts compatibility I am sure there would be a few that would fit but the spark timing that is programmed into the cdi may change from year to year whether it is a plus or minus for what you want I wouldnt even begin to know.

I have had a 94 yz250 a 94 wr250 and this thing I assembled out of lots of spare parts from that era and the problems I ever had with the ignition systems was the wires along the frame got ripped up from brush/branches when I lost it and launched the bike into a briar patch , the plug cap will get loose on the end of the coil wire after a few dozen plug changes, and the kill switch shorting out to me after a crash into a lake

Top Bottom