krazydayz

Mar 28, 2009
hi, we just bought a yz250f 02, the bike has been stood for over 2 years, we have cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel/plug but are struggling to start the bike.

it has great compression and a strong spark, also it is getting fuel.. (we think, removed airfilter box, kicked the bike over and see puffs of fuel)

where not sure if we have the idle screw setup correct.. not sure where to begin, we have not tried to bump start the bike..

we begin kicking it, it will pop once with some smoke.. but will not pop again until its been stood for 3-5mins.

we followed the manual, kick it for 10-20 times with compression lever pulled in. then release and kick..

also pops when we kick it with compression pulled in..

we know to start with choke and no throttle...

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
you have to do the starting drill with the bike. slowly kick over the bike until you get compression, then pull the compression release and release the lever. Then bring the kickstarter to the top and kick it all the way through.

There use to be a video on Yamaha's site to show you how to do it.

Once you get the drill down the bike should start. If it has been sitting, you will need to clean out the pilot jet in the carb. Be sure the hot start (red knob) is pushed in and the choke (black knob) is pulled out. Fuel screw start at 1 7/8 turns out from full (lightly) seated.

Last edited:

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
yeah, you're not using the correct starting procedure. I had an 02 and it would start great but you had to be perfect with the starting routine.

Do not kick the bike over with the decomp lever pulled in. Do exactly as Matt mentioned and it should at least fire.

Hoverjos

Sep 11, 2023
My 250 5 valve (in a Scorpa TRIDE 2008) was doing hick-up at constant speeds , but stopped suddenly y the last ride after 3 minutes , not willing to start again (still the starter turned it arround) and the dash showed if at full trhotle even ignition out ! Two hours later started again but will not ride it before i know /repared the problem . Please help any idea ????? Thanks for advice.

Hoverjos

Sep 11, 2023
My 250 5 valve (in a Scorpa TRIDE 2008) was doing hick-up at constant speeds , but stopped suddenly y the last ride after 3 minutes , not willing to start again (still the starter turned it arround) and the dash showed if at full trhotle even ignition out ! Two hours later started again but will not ride it before i know /repared the problem . Please help any idea ????? Thanks for advice.

Top Bottom