Dan B.

Sep 7, 2002
I bought my 13 year old son a bone stock '98 YZ80. Can anyone give me some tips on how to set up this bike for trail riding for a beginner. It seems like the bike needs high RPM's to run half decent. I'm looking for recommendations on sprocket changes, or anything that will help the bike run better at lower speeds and lower RPM's.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Our '01 came with a 14 tooth front sprocket, a 13 made it much easier to ride. Dropping the needle one clip and leaning the main to a 280 helped also.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
You can also adjust the timing a bit to produce a bit more bottom end. A reed block spacer will also help in the low end dept.

If your only going to use it for offroad and trail riding, then it might be wise to invest in getting the cylinder ported for more low to mid power delivery.

Also check if FMF has a torque pipe for your bike and with Moose on flywheel weights. Simple bolt ons if available.

Dan B.

Sep 7, 2002
Thanks OKKX'er and ktmdad. I'm just gettingback into this sport and need to get caught up on the latest technology. I appreciate the advice.

KW

Oct 14, 1999
Dan try a 10 or 12oz flywheel weight. This will really help for woods riding. Also boysen power reeds will help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom