YZF 426 2K Backfiring(Popping & flames) at Idle

bradon

Apr 28, 2000
Bike won't idle correctly - backfiring badly... Runs ok off idle. Installed an adjustable fuel mixture screw with no effect on the back firing. Pulling the choke stops the backfiring. But, that does not make much sense to me if flames are already coming out the exhaust. Float bowl height been checked, cleaned carb twice, checked the cam timing. What are next steps? Air leak, take carb apart again?.. The last thread talked about an air leak at the exhaust joint. Would that cause the backfiring with flames shooting out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

B

biglou

Is your slide in upside down? I've read that it's easy to do and causes the same symptoms. As for air leak, you can spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around the boots and see if it affects the way it runs. If it does, you've found a leak.

bradon

Apr 28, 2000
Thanks for the help...I did find the slide upside down. Must of done it when I cleaned the carb last month and set it on the shelf until ready to install after completing my top end rebuild. The bike runs great! I really like the ZIP - Ty mixture screw.
I will be riding after all this weekend...

Top Bottom