´02 sx125 - what do you know about it?

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Im about to look and hopefully buy a ´02 sx125 and would like your input on this bike. I havent owned a ktm or actually never ridden one or wait i have ridden a 80's 80cc is that counts. :think:

Im about to test if on my local track to see how i like it. So far i only know possitive things about ktm. My local mc shop is supposed to have good prices and fast delivery on ktm parts according to a friend who worked there. They have a thermostate which is good since i ride even in -25 celsius - no need to mess around covering the radiators. Also i love the sound and they look pretty cool :)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
pyromaniac said:
Im about to look and hopefully buy a ´02 sx125 and would like your input on this bike. I havent owned a ktm or actually never ridden one or wait i have ridden a 80's 80cc is that counts. :think:

Im about to test if on my local track to see how i like it. So far i only know possitive things about ktm. My local mc shop is supposed to have good prices and fast delivery on ktm parts according to a friend who worked there. They have a thermostate which is good since i ride even in -25 celsius - no need to mess around covering the radiators. Also i love the sound and they look pretty cool :)

My 01 didnt have a thermostat? you may need the offset clamps to get it to turn well.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I dont think the SX models have had the thermostat from the factory , wouldnt be a problem to fit one , though...There havent been many changes to the engine , as far as I know.
Engine is really strong , and you can dial in the powervalve to a setting that you prefer....
Most people think the suspension needs revalving , the newer the bike , the better the suspension out of the box.....The 05 models are said to be pretty good.
A couple of things we learned right away this year , after getting a KTM 125 :The chain needs quite a bit more slack than a linkage equipped bike , if it tightens up during the end of the travel , it will destroy either the bearing behind the front sprocket , or the rear hub......
Most people prefer to run with a bit more sag on the rear with the PDS shock , as opposed to a Japanese bike , 110 to 120 mm is not uncommon , but just experiment a bit , and see what you like......
The end cap on the OEM silencer has a habit of working itself loose , same with the shifter , so keep an eye on these bolts.
Enjoy your new bike !

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
No thermostat? :( Quite long time ago i asked a mc shop if he had a thermostat i could put on my bike and he said no only ktm uses thermostat. My bad i assumed that ment all ktm's but im quissing only some models have it.

I would like to have one. I fitted one on my quad and there is no way i could fit that on a bike, just no room for it. This was for a bmw car and i have seen smaller ones for gocarts but they are quite expensive. Well it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the info viking but i havent bought it yet..

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Buy it ! Buy it !
Ok ......I´ll try to be serious.......I think the thermostat is used on some of the more road going KTM´s , but I believe the tubes to and from the radiators are routed the same way , so you more or less just have to remove a " y " connection , and put in a thermostat.....
Im in Denmark , and currently looking for a 125 for my youngest son , how much are you expecting to pay for the -02 in Sweden?

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Now i own it :)

I got it for 24 500. It was quite nice condition, better than all 02-03 ive seen before. Only bad thing was that the subframe was bent so the rear wheel scratches the left side of the fender/airbox. Already fixed it, gotta bend it a bit more to get the fender centered over the wheel.

The bike felt quite good. The shifting worked fine, i had a huge problem with that on my rm, finaly fixed it by lowering the footpegs and moving them back. The track was terrible, 30cm of water mixed with sand 2/3 of the track so i couldnt tell really if the suspension was good but it didnt feel totally wrong so i think i can get it dialed in. The rear sag was quite wrong, only like 10mm free sag so gotta fix that and the clickers were quite strange set, will set it to standard and dial in from there.

Only strange thing was the little steering angle lock-to lock. No problem on the track but in the pits it was a bit strange.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Yes , the limited lock-to-lock is really strange at first , but matters little riding the thing..If you need info on approx jetting, and a few mods that will help , do a search here , or just ask.
We got some tips about jetting and pipe , that made the bike fly ! Have to do something to the suspension now....
Have fun with the new bike !!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think you will find that you can live with your shock, but the more aggressive you get with the bike, the more you will find the forks need to be revalved.

Don't worry about the lock-to-lock feeling...a couple of good crashes will indent the lock bolt into the metal, and will give you more travel. :)
I bet most of the MXA type riders who do reviews make their "this bike has stink bug steering" decisions before they even leave the gate. I have both a yz and a sx 125 and they both turn fine on the track...just a different feel. Off-set clamps will make it feel more jap.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I set the freesag right and reset the clickers to standard. I took a little trailride and its hard to judge how it will feel on a mx track but what i think can be a problem is that the fork have too much compression. It doesnt soak up bumps and stones well at all but i guiss a motocross isnt made that way even though thats the way i want it. Power was really good, wont think about any mods for power for a while. Jetting seems ok, maybe a bit rich but the power is so good i wont try rejet, im rather on the safe side also the temp will go down alot now so i may have to go ever richer when it drops below -20 celsius.

The shifting was perfect, didnt have any problem at all which i had feers of cause i have had alot on the rm, ended up lowering and moving the footpegs back to solve it but i still had the problem getting into neutral quite alot.

gas250

Nov 22, 2003
i have an -03 125 sx, and it has an thermostat..i bought it used(from a guy who raced in finnish championship) so i cant be sure if it was originally fitted..cause he had put the v-force aftervods,and other things.the bike works beautifully,shifting is super,and the hydraulic clutch is great!! and the power is awesome..good bike overall,suspension needs a little work,but it's not a big deal :ride:

MatsK

Jan 23, 2002
Congrats on your new bike! I owned a -02 125 sx previously, and have nothing bad to say about it.Revalved suspension for enduro,everything else stock. The thermostat is stock on the exc models, has been since -98 or -99. The sx hasn't got any thermostat, but it should fit from an exc. My new bike has a thermostat but I think I'll still cover one radiator half for the vinter.

Top Bottom